Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Problem with openning multiple tabs excel file in excel 2k or lower version.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Problem with openning multiple tabs excel file in excel 2k or lower version.
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have created a multiple tabs excel file using ON TABLE SET COMPOUND 'BYTOC 1' and scheduled to email it to a list of users.
Some users can not open the file because they have lower MS excel versions. Is there anything I can do to the file before sending it out?

Thanks.

Hua

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, a multi-tab Excel spreadsheet created by WebFOCUS can only be opened by Excel 2003 or later. There is minimal documentation on this subject, but here's one "solution" on Tech Support: What version of EXCEL is needed to schedule multi-tab EXCEL?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis:

I presume the link that you provide, has the correct answer to the question.

But some of us, don't have one password to access to the information.

Maybe if use a copy/paste, can help us.

(sorry by my english, this is not my language)
Thanks
R

WebFOCUS 7.6.5
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Rafael,

If you're working on WebFOCUS then your employer will have a site licence number that you can use to register with IBI Tech Support.

quote:
Symptom/Problem/Solution

SOLUTION
What version of EXCEL is needed to schedule multi-tab EXCEL?

Case: 21222055 Product: WebFOCUS Release: 710 Primary OS: Windows Date: 06/05/16
Case information refers to the Product, Release, and OS for which this question was asked. The solution may apply to other Products, Releases, and Operating Systems.
Problem:

What version of EXCEL is needed to create a mult-tabbed EXCEL file
via ReportCaster?

Solution:

EXCEL 2003 or higher, or EXCEL XP is required to VIEW the results of
a WebFOCUS request that produces a multi-tabbed EXCEL report. No version
of EXCEL is required on the server or client to schedule or create
this kind of EXCEL report.

Product: WebFOCUS, WEBFOCUS
Symptom: None Assigned
Functional Area: None Assigned
Operating System: Windows, WIN/2K
Keywords: 21222055, EXCEL, COMPOUND
Docid: 21222055

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thank you Francis for your confirmation of the problem.

Please ignore me as I am complaining out aloud right now that I just wish WebFOCUS should not have this limitation because multiple tabs is not a new feature to Excel 2003 or higher.

Hua

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hua,

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

<JG>
posted
Hua, you are quite correct multiple tabs were not a new feature in Excel 2003 however support for
Extensible Hypertext Markup Language was new in Excel 2000 XP SP2 and up.

Having I am sure looked at the very many posts in the forum about EXL2K format you should
be well aware that WebFocus does not generate an Excel binary file unless you use HOLD FORMAT EXCEL,
for EXL2K it generates a file with the extension .XHT which indicates that the file is in
Extensible Hypertext Markup Language format.

Also having looked at the many posts on the forum regarding the issue of serving users who have a version
of Excel, or for that matter Open Office, that does not support the XHTML format you will know the the only option that is available to you is to convert the .xht file to a true .xls Excel binary.

Do not blame WebFocus for what is a Microsoft limitation.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
JG,

Thank you for giving me a lesson on HML 101, a lesson well worth learning.
I am quite embarrassing to addmit that I haven't done the "extensive" search for solutions on this popular topic.

Now I like to find out difference between the xht and xls files: If HOLD FORMAT EXL2K generates .xhl file, why the people with lower versons can open EXL2K file when I just remove ON TABLE SET COMPOUND 'BYTOC 1' ? Isn't it EXL2K produces .xhl file anyway regardless how simple the report is?

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

<JG>
posted
Hua,

.xht is .xht likewise .jsp is .jsp

However .jsp 1.0 syntax and features are not quite the same as .jsp 1.1 syntax and features.

The issue is that Microsoft like most software vendors 'roll out' features and functinality
or support for features and functinality.

An absolutely standard .xht file is quite basic in its structure and contains
1 HTML document.
However a report containing multiple panes or worksheets includes segments
each of which is a seperate HTML document.

These are represented in the .xht document as follows

--====Boundary====
Content-Location: file:///C:/IBIT0001.xht
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
. document content

Microsoft Excel releases earlier than XP/2000 SP3 do not support the multi HTML construct.

That's why a basic table request works but why BYTOC, TEMPLATE and PIVOT require a higher Excel release
where they do understand it.

What is interesting is that in Excel 2007 changes made by Microsoft mean that TEMPLATE does not work
at all unless you create the template in an earlier release and even opening a basic document generates
a security waring.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
JG.

I saw those text representations when openning up the multiple html report. I didn't pay much attention to the details. Your explaination helps me understand what the text meant. Thanks again.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Guru
posted Hide Post
That TEMPLATE thing was a nasty shock when we upgraded to Excel 2007. We will be keeping copies of Excel 2002 around for a while yet!

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post