Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] In WF 7.x is Data Server content considered MR content?:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] In WF 7.x is Data Server content considered MR content?:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all!

So, I've been working on trying to figure out how to migrate WF7.x content to WF8.x, and discovered that there are utilities for doing such for MR, BID, and RC content. Was the content found within/under Data Servers -> Applications in WF7.x considered MR content before WF8.x? Would I go ahead and use the MR export utility for this content?

I came in to using WF at 8.0.09, so I am unfamiliar with name changes of content if there are any, and WF7 differences in general. Any added insights would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The reporting server application folders are not considered as Managed Reporting, WF 4, 5, 7 or 8. The one change in WF 8 is that you can use Change Management to export/import content from the reporting server application folders. In WF 7 and older, you had to deploy the content via the file system or by Developer Studio.

When migrating from WF 7 to WF 8, the "Migration Utility" *might* deploy the reporting server application folders content, but there is no Change Management method of doing this.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Thank you for helping me to understand. Good to know on the app folders in Data Servers/the reporting server. So, now I really need to figure out how to get the reporting server application content from 7.6 to 8.x. Since now the MR utility is out possibly. So there isn't any CM section within the BID in 7.x? And that wouldn't work for exporting Reporting Server app folder content huh? Then, how do people get their content from the old environment to the new one? This whole migration thing has been quite the ordeal just to learn how it all works and what content needs what utilities if any to do the migration. Getting there though. Slowly...

Expert
posted Hide Post
To supposedly ease the migration, isn't there a Migration Utility to get the stuff from WF 7 to WF 8? I think one of the functions of this utility is to create the handles for existing MRE content when migrating to the Repository. Perhaps the Migration Utility also migrates application folders. If not, I would use the file system.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

So, from what I've discovered thus far, there are only migration utilities for MR, RC, and BID content. None that speak of inclusion of RS content. I've been digging for a while now. Nothing so far. These utilities do (I believe) create/retain handles for the old syntax so that it works in the new environment, but there isn't any details in regards to what keeps the migrated content working with the old handles if one were to want to delete a dependency, modify or edit one of these migrated files, etc. in the new environment. My quest for these needed insights continues...

They being:
- How to get RS content in 7.x to "Content" within an 8.x environment? (I guess we could copy/paste from/to the \ibi\apps directories?)
- What will break and why if we copy over file for file to the new environment?
(-INCLUDEs, drill downs, COMPUTEs with booleans w/o IF/ELSEs, etc.?)
- Does JSURL work in 8.x, or do we need to use JSURLS?
- If we do end up using the MR utility, what do we use for a domain HREF if doing an partial migration?
- Etc.

Fun times!

Thanks for you help Francis.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This thread is continued and linked to in this thread:

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/9137036776