Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Standalone Java App and WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Standalone Java App and WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

posted
This thread is a discussion about architecture and creating a self-service application. I was wondering if anyone has an environment where they have a standalone java application and calling a launch page and produces the report. Security will be built in the java application and once the user logs in, there would be a link to call the launch page. Also, the launch page could include WebFOCUS API for report assist (ad hoc) or graph assist. Does anyone have an environment such as this and where is security being implemented. We're planning on installing WF v7.6.1 on zOS/USS.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but sounds similar. We have a few standalone applications that utilize WF to produce PDF reports. Most of the security is built into the app itself, but it uses a hard-coded userid/pass combination to connect to the WF Server. The java app constructs the URL which contains the servlet call with all the appropriate parameters. The app is built in such a way that the user never sees any "security", but the app can only pass the parameters that are allowed for that user/transaction. The URL is then executed with the parm string and fexname and you get the report output.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Thank you for your response. What data source is WF reporting against to produce the PDF? Also, would it be okay to discuss this with you further about your implementation?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We report against DB2 and ADABAS on Z/OS and DB2/UDB on Linux. We have data servers on USS and Linux. Feel free to email further questions. I didn't do much on the Java side, but I can get the info from the guys who did.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Phillip Ho

On calling the Report Assist / Graph Assist from a Self-Service Application, I believe that it is a violation of the license agreement to use them out site of MRE/UAS/CUS or Dashboard. I would check with your Sales Rep before doing so.

Scott

posted Hide Post
Darin,

If you guys hard-coded userid/pass to connect to the WF Server,does that mean you are also passing the same userid to DB2?

I'm assuming you have a generic userid/password for WF Server which everyone uses. Is that a correct assumption?

posted Hide Post
Darin,

Basically, we will have a standalone java application. The frontend consist of several frames. Left frame (navigational section) and the main frame. On the left frame, there will be a link called "Report" which will be populated in the main frame. The link is basically launching a html page. It's a structure ad hoc report. Because the security is being handled on the java application side, I wasn't planning on implementing any security for WebFOCUS. We're also reporting against DB2 and from a reporting perspective, DB2 will return certain data back to the user based on their userid. So, I would need to implement security for WebFOCUS but since security is handle on the java application, how would this work so that WF would pass the correct userid to DB2.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can just pass through the userid to the database. In our instance, all connections to DB2 use the same id(this is set up in the data adapter) so we don't have to worry about that part. The WF server is secure so it requires in id/pass for connection - this is supplied by the java app. From your description below, it doesn't sound like you are requesting a report, per se, but launching an HTML app which allows the user to build a report query using parameters, etc. You've got to solve a lot of other issues doing it this way (hiding source code, URL strings, etc) to protect the security you put in place. You're not actually running a report from the java app. You're basically just linking (via URL) to a published report which has parameters.
I would suggest building all those parameters into the java app itself and then just issuing the servlet call from the app, passing the necessary parm values.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

posted Hide Post
Darin,

In your environment, is the java app basically calling WebFOCUS servlet or utilizing MRE/Dashboard components?

posted Hide Post
In our environment, the other app is basically has a link that passes all the parameters to get to the dashboard UI. By doing it this way, that would mean that a user must be a subscriber to MRE/Dashboard. I was thinking of creating a launch page (static html page) and that launch page will be making the servlet call to produce the report. By doing it this way, the issue is how the other app can pass the userid to the launch page so that DB2 could do it authorization.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused now as to exactly what you're needing. You're trying to link to the dashboard/MRE from a java app using dynamic userIDs from the app login? could b a licensing issue there. You can pass and parameters to an HTML launch page if it is contained inside a fex that uses -HTMLFORM. Just put the &variables (for userID/etc) as "hidden" variables when executing the POST/GET. In reality they are not hidden as they can be seen with "View Source" unless you've done some additional work. Depending on how you've set up the DB2 adapter, userid/password can be passed from the WF server to DB2 automatically with the query without having to pass additional parameters.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991