Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     HTML Composer Search Control Case Sensitive

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
HTML Composer Search Control Case Sensitive
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make HTML Search Controls case insensitive?

I "auto generated" some Search Controls in HTML Composer using the "Add 'Search' Control" option. The searches work great if you enter in the exact case the data is in but I don't want my users to have to worry about that.

Maybe there is some kind of JavaScript or Control Setting I haven't found yet to do this?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Tansy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tansy,

WebFOCUS Developer Studio 7702
Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
I've come across this limitation in the past. I think we have to ask for a new feature request.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I complained of this last November and I just opened a case - you should too.

There's a new feature request open for this issue.

Cheers,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here is a workaround suggestion - use JavaScript to change the case as the user types.

In the HTML Composer GUI, click on the Search Control and in the Properties window, navigate to the Events tab. Click on the right side "onkeyup" ... button to create a new function. The HTML tab will become active and a new function named search1_onkeyup will be created. In the function, paste the following line:

document.getElementById('search1_input').value = document.getElementById('search1_input').value.toUpperCase();

Note that "search1" is the id of the control and "search1_input" is the id of the textbox inside the control - these ids may be different in your file, use the correct id. If you need lower-case, change the function to "toLowerCase".

As far as I can tell - this is a legal manipulation of the HTML page - use the GUI to create a JavaScript function and then add the JavaScript inside the function.

Francis

posted Hide Post
This is a great idea!

I don't think it gets me fully where I want to be, but it does get me in the right direction!

The data I'm working with is a little funky in that the mainframe app that controls it/validates it doesn't require consistency. So, for example, one entry might have "Oregon", another could have "OREGON" and another could have 'oregon' and so on ... So I'll need to also handle making the Drop Down selection data be the same case I change the user entry to make sure they match up ... but I think you got me on track!

P.S. I did figure out what my control ids are and how to add JavaScript methods, etc (I'm getting kind of good at it for a WF beginner Smiler ... but what I didn't think of was this particular JavaScript case manipulation idea!

Thanks!

Windows, all output

Guru
posted Hide Post
The Globsl Search Control allows for case insensitive. The other Search control does not.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll have to look for that control. I just took the default auto-generated "Add 'Search' Control" option.

Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
I can't get this "Global Search" to look for options within a tree control or a double-list box, so it's not a viable option for me.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you are doing this - but I just had a case where an entry in a text box needed to search against the database to generate the combo box drop down list --- I used embedded code with the upcase and locase functions -- changed the incoming data to all upcase just for checking -- works perfectly fine and can match the records -- also ended up using the trim function to take off leading blanks that the user might put into the text box

I had the same exact problem as you described with Oregon....OREGon

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vivian, but my data is preloaded and cached so that idea won't work (but it is a great one to keep in my back pocket).

David/Francis ... I must be a numbskull, but I can't find that Global Search control anywhere in Dev Studio HTML Composer? Maybe it is a version thing? I am on 7702.

Windows, all output

Guru
posted Hide Post
It is on the property sheet for the Document object or Bidy object. I don't remember which, but look at them and you will see it.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

posted Hide Post
Yeah, interesting. It is on the property sheet of the Body object ... and it works ... it doesn't place itself in a "good spot" on the page ... but it works. I will play with this some more. Thanks!

Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
It "works" but as far as I can tell, this 'Global Search' does not help is solving the problem you started this forum thread about - a 'Global Search' does not find the search value in a dropdown box - it only finds the value if there's an embedded report in the HTML page. Or am I wrong?

Francis

posted Hide Post
Hi Francis. Yes, the global search control successfully searched for data in my list box controls without caring about case. The search control (runtime) gives you an option to "Auto-Link to selected control". Then, whatever control I select, the box pops up under that control (with a label equal to the name of the control) and lets me search. What I don't like so much is that there doesn't seem to be a way to control how the display is rendered. For example, I would prefer putting more user friendly names in the label as opposed to the actual control names and I would like to be able to control the positioning of the display etc.

Thanks!

Windows, all output

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would prefer putting more user friendly names in the label as opposed to the actual control names

I have been struggling with trying to get the global search control to do what I want it to, and what it should do. I agree this control could function differently. I want to be able to dock it, I don't like that it floats where it wants to. Would be nice if there was a choice to dock it or not.

I found this, and it works for the text. My label wasn't exactly what I wanted the search control to say, so I made a hidden label to say what I wanted instead of changing my other label that I still needed.

<LABEL style="Z-INDEX: 29; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 145px; DISPLAY: none; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; HEIGHT: 50px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; TOP: 75px; CURSOR: default; LEFT: 1050px" id=label35 tabIndex=28 for=EventTitleCombobox>Search Event Titles</LABEL>     

From Dev Studio Online Help

The label for the input control is displayed showing that it is linked to that input control. If no label is associated with the input control, the window will show the unique identifier for the input control, for example, combobox1.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I am an English speaker but I have a hard time understanding the documentation regarding this Global search/paging control.

"By default, the window shows all values on one page (for example 1-4 of 4)" - but it does not show all values on one page. I don't know what this means.

"If you want multiple pages, type a range in the Search/Paging field in the format 1-2 of 4, as shown in the following image and press the Enter key." - What?

I'm not sure why Search and Paging are related.

"Auto-link to selected control. Search/Paging window appears under the selected input control. Auto-link is on by default." - Shouldn't this be a property of the Global Search that the developer decides on, not the user? Most users will not know what a "control" is.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post

This so-called Global Search does not work after you click the Home button. I typed France and it did not find France in the Country drop-down.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
This so-called Global Search does not work after you click the Home button

Maybe you did this already, but after you click home
you have to click on the drop down box again before you can search.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
Windows 7 Professional

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
"If you want multiple pages, type a range in the Search/Paging field in the format 1-2 of 4, as shown in the following image and press the Enter key." - What?

You are not alone. I read that and thought the
exact same thing.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
Windows 7 Professional

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Auto-link to selected control. Search/Paging window appears under the selected input control. Auto-link is on by default." - Shouldn't this be a property of the Global Search that the developer decides on, not the user? Most users will not know what a "control" is

I agree! I also discovered that the global search does not
appear to work when a RIA theme is applied. And it would be nice to be able to change the style as well to match the rest of a well styled page. And of course dock it, this really bugs me having it floating all over the page.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
Windows 7 Professional

Expert
posted Hide Post
I would rather have a Search that works properly for the control that I turn the Search on for. So, they need to make the search case insensitive, which is what this thread was originally about. Smiler

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Most users of HTML Composer should know what a "control" is. The documentation explains that auto-link means the Gloabl Search/Paging will move to be next to the control it will operate on - it will "link" to it. It also explains that the label of the control will be the title in the Global Search/Paging, otherwise it is the control name. Paging refers to a page of values, for example 1-4 of 8 would mean you are seeing 1-4 of a total of 8 and to see the next 4, you need to see a next page.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
David, I think you or I misunderstand the use of the word "user". A "developer" is someone that uses HTML Composer to develop a parameter screen so that the "user" can do his or her job. The developer definitely should know what a control is, the user will most likely not.

And, I've never seen the use of the word "page" to describe a dropdown box where scrolling is required to see the values.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
@Francis Nice Thread

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
Windows 7 Professional

Master
posted Hide Post
I think this is a matter of perspective: From David's ivory tower over Penn Station we, the developers, are his "users". From our point of view, the "user" is the person who just gets a report and has nothing to do with programming. Still, some clarity would be nice, and calling us "developers" or "programmers" might be helpful.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Ok. So "user" means end-user or user of a facility depending on the context. Regarding the term "page", since the end-user uses the next, prior, etc., buttons to "page through" the values, we use the term page.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
George, it sometimes feels like we're considered ab-users of HTML Composer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis