Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Tracking Mainframe Usage without Resource Analyzer

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Tracking Mainframe Usage without Resource Analyzer
 Login/Join

posted
Does any one know if I can track FOCUS usage on an MVS TSO Mainframe without using third party tools such as R/A?

I also do NOT want to ask each developer to insert special code in all of their focexecs.

At one time I thought there was a 'super' focexec like FOCPROF that was called every time someone requested an EXEC to run.. regardless of how FOCUS session was brought up.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 19 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: July 23, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I can't recall, but do you have edasprof.prf on the mainframe? I would -INCLUDE a fex in edasprof.prf or -INCLUDE the fex in member PROFILE in a library that is always allocated to user's TSO sessions or JCL. In this fex, I would use MODIFY to update a FOCUS DB with the stats you require to track. Then you can run reports against this DB.

I did this quite successfully on a mainframe about 10 years ago.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Contact CSS regarding this. There is a very light weight logging utility that can be turned on for Focus installations that will track usage. It obviously does not track to the extent of RA/RG, but I think this is what you are looking for. I believe its called FOCAUDIT.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Rich,
There are actually a few ways to track FOCUS usage in MVS…
1. There is a system PROFILE that can be set up by your installer that you can code to cut a record to a file for each person accessing FOCUS. This will get you the usage count number, jobname or userid for each FOCUS access (using FOCUS functions and LETs - you can get quite complex, just be careful of the overhead on each of your customers). This won't tell you the CPUs or EXCPs without a lot of work, but will give you contacts for further investigation and you can find the people that are using the product most frequently.
2. You can also request FOCLOG for MVS which is a stripped down Site Analyzer. Not sure if this is a charge for option since I beta tested it a couple of years ago. It was easy to install and only was activated with the log file was allocated so it was easy to turn off and on.
3. You can have SMF records turned on for FOCUS/iWay (it's an installation option) and run extremely detailed reports off of these records.
4. You can have your security package track module usage for specific FOCUS/iWay modules.
5. You can also purchase a 3rd party vendor software to track all software usage at your installation (e.g. SoftAudit)
The one problem that I have found with all of these is the volume of data produced. I get over 400k hits on FOCUS a week and this can fill up a lot of DASD in a short amount of time depending upon the detail I want collected. I normally only track when it is contract renewal time or time to upgrade a processor.

I'm sure that if you contact IBI directly there are many other ways to track mainframe usage. They have been doing this for years and might even have some sample code to send you.

Good luck!
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post