Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Help with getting data from local pc to server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Help with getting data from local pc to server
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
How a fex running in webfocus server (self serv page) copy a file from my local desktop PC?

case- I need to allow user to copy a file from his local c drive and put into a folder in the webfocus server. Since I don't have much knowledger in js etc, any way using a focus fex to do that?
Please help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1.1 CGI - Self Service - Report Caster,Win2000/IIS
Output: HTML, Excel 2000 and PDF

Posts: 36 | Location: LOS ANGELES | Registered: February 01, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
if your server has network rights to access files on that user's pc, then in your fex just filedef the file on the users pc and copy it or read it.
If your server doesn't have those rights, then get your network admin to set them up.
FILEDEF YOURFILE DISK \\computername\directoryname\..\filename.ext

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Another possibility might be to code FTP in a batch or script file and execute it from the procedure. You should be able to find examples of this on the ibi site.

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have used a FileLoader Servlet in the past to upload a users excel file and used the value of one of the columns to create the WHERE statement for a table request. I would search the web for it. The one I used allowed you to specify the directory that the file is to be loaded to.

Scott

Scott

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. RichH, susannah.
I tried both ways you mentioned. One way or the other, it is not working for my setup.
Scott's suggestion is something I want to see at this moment.
Scott, do you mind provide me the URL or more details to locate the FILELOADER SERVLET.
Thanks so much

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1.1 CGI - Self Service - Report Caster,Win2000/IIS
Output: HTML, Excel 2000 and PDF

Posts: 36 | Location: LOS ANGELES | Registered: February 01, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Sorry it's File Upload Servlet
Here is couple of links

http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/upload.htm
http://www.oop-reserch.com/cross_servlet.html

Scott

Scott

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Stingray:
With the new MRE, there's a file upload feature but it's not an end user tool, really. Question is: Is there now a FileUpload function that's exposed that we can take advantage of without having to install one of those servlets you mentioned?

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
DKWAN,

Is this supposed to be a service that you want to extend to your users, or is it part of an application which needs the data from your user's PC?
What type of file? NOTEPAD? EXCEL?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Once a month, users need to upload a tab delimited file within MRE which will then be inserted to SQL Server. I've got the bulk of the process covered, except for the file upload/save. I've seen the MRE file upload but it's not really made for the end user as it makes you create a MFD. I thought since that was added, there might be an API to allow file uploads.

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
What is the format of the file to be uploaded and what is going to happen to it ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz
I appreciate your response, but if you read my post, you will find the answer. At this point, I simply am trying to upload a file to the server and save it wherever I want, probably in the apps directory.

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark, sorry, but I am a bit confused, the original post was from DKWAN, is this the same issue ?

As for the Tab delimited file, I wrote the original upload routine, and many of its functions and options were discarded when it was IBI'ified, it would allow you to re-execute a previous load with just a call. Unfortunately it is written for V5.2 and uses several ActiveX objects.

I personally think that a jsp to upload the file is the easiest. I have written one myself for the same reasons, the important thing is to have a simple process for the users to follow.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post