Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     RIP Compound Document Tool - We hardly knew ye

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
RIP Compound Document Tool - We hardly knew ye
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
From an Information Builders email:

quote:
Effective with WebFOCUS Developer Studio Release 7.7, the Compound Document Tool will no longer be supported. The Compound Document Tool, only accessible from the Developer Studio Local Projects environment, provided a graphical environment which allowed you to combine reports with styled HOLD formats (for example, PDF, HTML, PS, EXL2K) or regular character-based reports into one file.

Information Builders is making this decision because the PDF Layout Painter is the recommended tool to create compound reports. In addition, the compound report syntax created by the Compound Document tool is an earlier implementation that is functionally stabilized.

The syntax generated by the Compound Document Tool will continue to be supported on the Reporting Server and existing reports will continue to run. Existing reports created with the Compound Document Tool can be edited with the Text Editor. There will be no migration of procedures using the older compound report syntax, but individual reports and charts can be imported into the PDF Layout Painter to create new compound reports.

It's interesting to me to see a Developer Studio tool come and go before I even got to work with it.

I wonder how you would use the "PDF Layout Painter" to create a compound EXL2K document.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'll try it and let you know. You getting upgrade anytime soon?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We're upgrading in four to six months. Who knows what version will be around then...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The Compound Document Tool was a GUI way of producing a focexec that just did:

EX FEX1
EX FEX2
etc.

I personally didn't think it was worth the effort.

Now the PDF Layout Painter, on the other hand, is quite impressive. I haven't done anything with Excel but I have created a report with a report and graph on CENTSALES that puts a report and graph for the same region together on a page with a page break on region. I also used a page master to put the company logo and date on the top and the page number on the bottom.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I took two existing EXL2K reports and put them in the PDF Tool,ran it and it was PDF. I had to manually go in and change this line

COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
TO
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
And it was a compound Excel. I'm sure I'm just missing how to set it in the GUI...since I'm not a GUI Person...I immediatly look for a solution in the code.

But bottom line...it works...

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ginny that achieving the "straight forward" compound of reports doesn't make you want to use the compound doc tool. Hopefully I'll still be able to code COMPOUND OPEN etc. manually to achieve this. However, as Ginny points out, the ability to combine reports, graphics, text et al with the new tool is very impressive.

If only I used the GUI ..... Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
On further inspection I found it in the properties panel you have the option of setting it to PDF, Excel, Powerpoint,HTML and Active reports. Perhaps...this Tool needs a new name.

Expert
posted Hide Post
How about: Compound Document Tool???

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That will work! Smiler

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, that sounds right. While they're at it, they have to change FML to something else too Smiler

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Trust me, Tony. You are not going to want to code the PDF Layout Painter stuff by hand. What you can do, however, is code the pieces by hand or specific tool like Report Painter, etc. Then use the PDF tool to put them together. The Page Master stuff is really cool and you can create a TOC.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And this really cool stuff like Page Master and TOC can be used in Excel, Powerpoint, HTML and Active reports as well as PDF?

I'd be surprised.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ginny,

I have coded the new stuff by hand and I find it "fairly" intuitive and it is the method I prefer to learn (sad I know). The more that I do the more that I will understand it (hopefullySmiler) and being an old coder I just can't "get into" the GUI, it just takes too long.

I suppose that I will have to bite the bullet one day and use the other new abilities offered via the GUI, but only until I learn what code it produces and why.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well get in there and and play around..cause I'm tying to figure out what kinda code it is producing at the beginning of each Fex...and how to change it. For instance...All this to make a compound EXL2K report.
SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
UNITS=IN, $
OBJECT=TOC, NAME='Table of Contents', METADATA='Table of Contents', TEXT='Table of Contents ok', MARKUP=OFF, TOC-NUMBERING=ON, POSITION=(0.750 0.854), DIMENSION=(7.000 9.500), font='ARIAL', color=RGB(0 0 0), size=10, TOC-FILL=DOTS, $
OBJECT=bookmarks ,$
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5', MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, PAGESIZE=Letter, $
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page 1', text='Page one', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='0^0.5^0^0.5', $
COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='report1', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.500 0.500), DIMENSION=(5.641 2.083), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 1; LEFT: 0.5in; WIDTH: 5.641in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.5in; HEIGHT: 2.083in', $
COMPONENT='report2', TEXT='report2', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.729 2.813), DIMENSION=(5.833 2.708), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; LEFT: 0.729in; WIDTH: 5.833in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 2.813in; HEIGHT: 2.708in', $
END

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes Ma'am!! Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps...this Tool needs a new name.

quote:

How about: Compound Document Tool???

quote:

Yes, that sounds right. While they're at it, they have to change FML to something else too

Absolutely! Big Grin

IBI have a trouble with naming =)

PDF Layout Tool - is not about only PDF.
FML - I never understood why it's financial

Dialog Manager - where the dialog? And manager?
"Managed Reporting" is confusing for me. (Is WebFOCUS wo MRE "unmanaged"?)
I think it's right to name WebFOCUS Client as just "Web Components".

As time passed I became used to this names.
But when I try to tell about WebFOCUS to someone new - confusion is guaranteed.

WF 7.6.2, WinNT/2K, MSSQL 2K, MSOLAP 2K, BID

Posts: 79 | Location: Moscow | Registered: April 27, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
It's actually spelled Dialogue Manager.

If it's spelled wrong on a resume, I know the person doesn't know Dialgue Manager. Smiler

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Carol,

I suppose it should matter whether English is your first language or else we would probably have the same reservations about people who spell colour as color! or those who use "z"s everywhere there should be an "s". Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Such a happy group.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Adapter comes up wrong in my spell-checker.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Must be Friday - we've turned this post into a spelling bee. Have a good weekend everyone!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Weekend, is it weekend......

Bye....see you on Monday

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yep, it must be almost Miller time in Texas!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You bet it is! Smiler