Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Problem when creating a SYNONYM for Progress Table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Problem when creating a SYNONYM for Progress Table
 Login/Join

posted
When creating a SYNONYM for a Progress Table I have a problem with one of the fields that contains comma-delimited data. When replacing the data with a plain text string (e.g. "XXXX") everything works fine. When the field contains the comma-delimited data, the system becomes unresponsive (hangs up).

Below is an example of the data in the comma-delimited field.

",,,2600,Total By Customer Group,7072371.33,2276371.65,588249.15,606576.57,485586.45,376432.76,352981.31,5901372.47,17659941.69,1227828.46"

My assupmtion is that the system does not allow a field to contain delimited values. I have replaced the comma with a pipe ("|") delimiter, but that also does not work.

Unfortunately I don't have control of the source data in Progress and have to use it as is.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mollie Kruger

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Mollie and welcome to the Forum!
How is your field defined in Progress? VARCHAR?
Is it the SYNONYM creation that hangs or when you try to retrieve data?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny,

The field in Progress is a varchar. As I have mentioned, if I replace the data with a plain text string (e.g. "XXXX") it is fine.

The creation of the synonym is successful. As soon as I retrieve sample data, it hangs up.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mollie,
Next question: what is your output? HTML? PDF? XL?
If you issue a simple TABLE, e.g.

TABLE FILE progresstable
PRINT molliefield
IF READLIMIT EQ 10
END 

Does it still hang?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What hangs? Is it the WebFOCUS server, or the web-browser or perhaps even the Progress server?

What is the length of the varchar field in Progress and what is the field definition (mostly the ACTUAL and USAGE values) in the master file?

It's possible that WF automatically created a master file that has incorrect field lengths and that that's causing problems.

To test that, does 'it' still hang when you replace the value with a non-delimited string of the same length? What about half the length? What about in between those two? Yeah, that's a binary search to find out what length it does accept (and the USAGE length from the master would probably be an excellent starting point for that search!).

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the synonym look like and which column in it is the problem. WHat's the data source?

posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I managed to convince the Progress DBA to dump the data I require into another table which does not contain a delimited field. All happiness!

Tahnks for all the replies.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs