Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
join problem
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hello folks,
i have two hold files each having around 10-15 million records. when i run these hold files separately in deffered status its taking me around 30-40 mins to get the result. now the problem is i am joining these two hold files based on equijoin condition and when i run it as deffered i am not able to view the result even after couple of hours. any suggestions so that i can improve the run time of the report after joining the hold files and also when i try to view the deffered report(after 2-3hrs of runtime) its taking lot of time to show the results and i am getting session time out error.

thanks
maddy

Expert
posted Hide Post
What is the format of the HOLD files?

You should at the very least, create FOCUS database HOLD files - your JOIN will be very much more efficient than flat files. Create indexes and key fields for the JOIN fields.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
hi francis,
Thanks for the suggestion.my hold files are in focus format and also i created indexes on the join fields and still i am facing this problem.
and also when i try to view the deffered report its taking lot of time and i am getting session time out error.
thanks
maddy

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you need to summarize your data at a higher level to create less rows - 10 million rows in a join is not very efficient. Perhaps you can create a drilldown type report - start at a very high level and drill down the lower levels...

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We had a situation in our conversion from mainframe to WebFOCUS in a program running forever and ever as in four or more hours in deferred mode. Turned out we were not executing the version we thought we were. I don't know as this would be your problem, but you might ensure what you are executing is what you want to be executing.

Our data is in DB2, conversion has proved interesting over the past couple years and we haven't gotten to any of the fancy stuff yet.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Maddy,

You're joining two FOCUS files with 10-15 million records each? Yowee. It's not too surprising that it would take a couple of years for that.

What kind of join do you have - one to one or one to many? If it happens to be one to one, you might actually do better creating flat files and then merging them using MATCH FILE. Not that I'm a fan of MATCH FILE, mind you. If it's one to many, you might get a better result by creating and then joining two flat files, instead of two FOCUS files (make sure they are sorted in the same order). I know that sounds ridiculous, but sequential processing of two ordered files might work better than indexed lookups in this case. Might not. Can't hurt to try it, though. Good luck.

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post