Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Fixed Width Text report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Fixed Width Text report
 Login/Join

posted
According to the documentation HTML and PDF are the standard fixed width output formats, but is it possible in the text editor, with code, to extract the column width from the data source and format a TAB or TEXT report for a fixed width output?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at FORMAT TAB and FORMAT TABT?

quote:
Reference: FORMAT TAB
Description:
Creates an output file in tab-delimited format
quote:
Reference: FORMAT TABT
Description:
Creates an output file in tab-delimited format that includes column headings in the first row

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ON TABLE SAVE AS filename FORMAT ALPHA

Will give you a fixed width output able to be read by a text editor with all the fields in columns relating to their actual field length.

Is this what you want?

You can interogate the master file description to determine field lengths etc. but the FORMAT ALPHA negates the need.

The code -

APP HOLD BASEAPP
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SAVE FORMAT ALPHA
END
Gives a save.ftm file in your BASEAPP application folder of -

ENGLAND   JAGUAR          V12XKE AUTO                8878   7427                
ENGLAND JAGUAR XJ12L AUTO 13491 11194
ENGLAND JENSEN INTERCEPTOR III 17850 14940
ENGLAND TRIUMPH TR7 5100 4292
FRANCE PEUGEOT 504 4 DOOR 5610 4631
ITALY ALFA ROMEO 2000 4 DOOR BERLINA 5925 4915
ITALY ALFA ROMEO 2000 GT VELOCE 6820 5660
ITALY ALFA ROMEO 2000 SPIDER VELOCE 6820 5660
ITALY MASERATI DORA 2 DOOR 31500 25000
JAPAN DATSUN B210 2 DOOR AUTO 3139 2626
JAPAN TOYOTA COROLLA 4 DOOR DIX AUTO 3339 2886
W GERMANY AUDI 100 LS 2 DOOR AUTO 5970 5063
W GERMANY BMW 2002 2 DOOR 5940 5800
W GERMANY BMW 2002 2 DOOR AUTO 6355 6000
W GERMANY BMW 3.0 SI 4 DOOR 13752 10000
W GERMANY BMW 3.0 SI 4 DOOR AUTO 14123 11000
W GERMANY BMW 530I 4 DOOR 9097 8300
W GERMANY BMW 530I 4 DOOR AUTO 9495 8400

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Maryellen>,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Both good suggestions, thanks.

Francis,
I tried TABT it doesn't produce a fixed width output, even with SQUEEZE=OFF I still get collapsed column widths. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Tony,
Tried your suggestion, I think because we outsource our WebFOCUS system to a Shared Services environment I don't have enough access to get to the "BaseApp" folder.

I also tried PCHOLD with a filename "c:\\..." FORMAT [all text types] and I just don't get fixed width in anything useful. It only seems possible in HTML and PDF which I can't reuse without additional processing

I apprieciate both of your responses though. Maybe in ver 7.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony's suggestion is the better one.

To have your file saved in a directory of your choice (on the server, not on your PC), you can allocate it like this:

FILEDEF SAVE1 DISK D:\DIR1\DIR2\SAVE1.TXT
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SAVE AS SAVE1 FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can also redirect your output to the client by specifying a local file in the AS part of the ON TABLE PCHOLD -

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS C:/FIXFILE.FTM FORMAT ALPHA
END

This will cause a prompt for OPEN / SAVE. Choose SAVE and then specify where you want your file locally. The SAVE AS dialog will not pick up your AS filename and will attempt to save as IBIWEB.EXE, just overtype the filename in the dialog and choose your extension type and destination directory.

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS C:/FIXFILE.FTM FORMAT ALPHA

I did not know that!

Thanks Tony.