Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] How to make a fixed format EXCEL output file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] How to make a fixed format EXCEL output file
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
In a FEX I wrote, specifying EXCEL as my output format, is there a way to make sure the EXCEL file comes with a fixed format? Right now it gets outputted with a variable block format and I need to have fixed format.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

<JG>
posted
webmeister,

Why are you outputting to EXCEL?

By it's very nature it is a binary file and so must be variable.

My assumption is that you are actually using the file as input to something else
as you can not use an Excel document on the platform you are on.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What I was tryiong to do was to put my output file int a FB format for use with SMTP and e-mail, to e-mail the file to a recipient, but it looks on this end that we also don't have SMTP on the mainframe so this is now a moot issue.

Thanks for replying.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For future reference, as JG states, you can't create an Excel output file in FB format. You could create a fixed length, fixed position output file using ON TABLE SAVE which could then be imported into Excel, but no way of creating an actual Excel file as you specify.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
But, just as a topic for discussion, you could create a csv file with fixed block length. Youd would then have to insert the comma's yourself by means of a defined field that holds the comma. And then it is just a normal plain good old hold format alpha that will create the fixed length file, but the contents is comma separated.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
When you say "fixed block" format is that the same as saying fixed column width?

If so, I seem to recall a presentation at Summit about Excel outputs. In that presentation there was something about setting the Column Layout Justification to Wrap and specifying the width in inches. My understanding is that would translate to the column width in Excel.

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post