Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to get content in 7.x in the RS folders moved to Content in 8.x env.:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to get content in 7.x in the RS folders moved to Content in 8.x env.:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

So, from what I'm told, the content on the reporting server (RS) is not considered managed reporting (MR) content. So, the MR migration utility would not work for that content I'm guessing. So, has anyone here in the forums successfully migrated RS content in 7.x to the Content area of a WF8.x environment? If so, how did you go about doing it? Is there a way to do it? Do I need to merely copy/paste the app folders from the old ibi\apps directory to the new one, and then modify all the code that's changed between versions?

Any help with this would really be appreciated. This has been quite the back and forth, etc. just to figure out how to move content from an old release to a new one and keep it working.

Thanks in advance! Also, thanks to all those that have already been chiming in and helping in my other threads to get me this far.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Other threads of mine that are related to this topic thread I've been getting help from:

http://forums.informationbuild...737036776#7737036776

http://forums.informationbuild...837036776#4837036776

http://forums.informationbuild...837036776#7837036776

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Migrating RS code is a fairly simple matter - just a matter of copying from the old version to the new version. That is, if you stay on the reporting server in WF 8.

The hard work is to remediate the code, and the only way I can think of to do that is to fully test the applications and find out where it is not working.

Is there a requirement that you move your code into the content repository? If not, I would consider staying on the RS.

If you do need to move your code to the content repository, I would suggest doing it in steps:

A - migrate to MRE in your current version first and make the changes necessary to keep your applications working, then employ the migration utilities to migrate to WF 8
B - migrate RS to RS, remediate the code, then migrate to the content repository

I feel it would make a difficult process a little easier than attempting to migrate from WF 7 RS to WF 8 MRE.

WebFOCUS 8

Posts: 74 | Location: Gahanna, OH | Registered: September 22, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
JRLewis,

Thank you for chiming in and giving me your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

It took me for like forever to finally figure out how it all goes down, but now get the general idea of it all. Sad to think that MRE is the culprit of quite a bit of work due to its need for handles in the repo. I think I will be able to give my team a good understanding of what our options are now, so we can take a route for migration and watch the fireworks as we attempt such. lol

Guru
posted Hide Post
Coolguy,
I'm trying to find whats the best way to upgrade all htmls developed in 7.7 to work with 8.104 on EDAServe (Self Service). Please let me know what your thoughts are or how you guys were able to migrate the code. We have a lot of launch pages that have input controls and somehow it wont populate in the 8.1 environment. Please let me know

Thanks!

Sandbox: 8206.10
Dev: 8201M
Prod:8009

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Pawan,

Sadly enough, trying to bring over tool-generated HTML pages that run things is near impossible. They will break and never work again... We ended up having to just rewrite all the front-end HTML pages as we went and do go along where needed. If you know the new HTML Canvas interface in AppStudio well enough, it doesn't take too long to do for each one. All other content though hasn't been much of a thing to bring over. We just had to make a few changes in the code to switch out -INCLUDEs, fix up JOIN syntax, and a few other here and there changes like style sheet stuff. Bringing things from the old RS to the new one was mostly a copy/paste deal; bringing things from the old MRE to the new one, we utilized the migration batch script utilities where possible, and just copy/pasted the content we couldn't making slight changes where needed.

The biggest hurdle is the manual changes to the preexisting content, rewrites of the HTML pieces, and then moving from old data sources to new ones that involve additional rewrite when required.

Ultimately, it's a mixed bag. As far as the HTML pages go, they are going to be total rewrites.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ultimately, it's a mixed bag. As far as the HTML pages go, they are going to be total rewrites.

Get ready to do the same for 8.2.* Frowner

I'm sure all the GUI personnel find this a no-brainer, it's only us "developers" that have a hard time.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I'm already wondering how things will go when we jump to the 8.2 release in September. Hoping migrations are not going to be as bad since we are going from an 8.x.x.x version to another 8.x.x.x version. Hoping the CM facility will be able to do all the heavy lifting. Supposedly there's a new v4 architecture as of 8.2 for the BIP product end of things. Don't want to have to reconfigure too much there. They say 8.1 portals can be converted to 8.2 portals, so we'll see! Luckily I've abstracted out most of the content from the current portal product into self-contained HTML templates. Hope that helps with things on that front.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,