Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     PDF FORMAT EFFECT ON CONCATENATED STRINGS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
PDF FORMAT EFFECT ON CONCATENATED STRINGS
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Anyone know how I can keep contactenated "forced" contactenated strings to stay in the same formate after I format a report to PDF?

Case goes:

DEFINE FILE MYFILE
TEST/A30 = VALUE1 || ', ' || VALUE2;
END

TABLE FILE MYFILE
PRINT
TEST
VALUE1
VALUE2
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END

As soon as this prints, the value will retain it's original length for VALUE1 and will print something like "VALUE1 , VALUE2" instead of just "VALUE1, VALUE2".

Expert
posted Hide Post
I used the CAR file to test this out and it seems to work as expected:
DEFINE FILE CAR
TEST/A100 = CAR || ', ' || MODEL;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
TEST
CAR
MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END
You should be able to run this in your enviroment - we FocalPointers (almost) always use the CAR file for examples - anyone can run them on any environment.

I'm not sure what you mean by
quote:
will print something like "VALUE1 , VALUE2" instead of just "VALUE1, VALUE2"
both those statements look the same, except for the blank after VALUE1.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Basically here's the scenario. Let's say that the field CAR is of type A40 but only the first three characters have something, like 'Z40' and then MODEL is something like 'S-TYPE' but that one is also about A40, when I force concatenate them into a field of size A82 (for the sake of adding a comma and a space in between the two), the PDF somehow ignores the space removal and converts it back to the field's full length. So instead of 'Z40, S-TYPE' I get 'Z40~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~, S-TYPE~~~~~~~...' (the tildens being spaces in this example) Is this happening on your end? I'm running WebFOCUS 5.3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gregson06,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that they are actually spaces and not just some unprintable character?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Yes, basically on PDF it just jumps back to being full length. I thought it was the program too but when I ran it on basic HTML it works just fine, except when I convert it to PDF... is there a way maybe to cast it into a string that doesn't allow movement? I'm not sure if that makes sense but it's almost like the PDF format detects that it's not one field but two and splits it.