Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Working with different browsers

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Working with different browsers
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a multiple complex apps (html pages, fexes, and more) residing in the MRE portion of Developer Studio currently. However, we are running into some problems. One of the apps only works in Internet Explorer (they all work in ie). Most work in Firefox and none work in Chrome.

I guess the first question has to do with dashboard itself. We were under the impression that it was compatible with all browsers. Maybe the problem is our browser versions (have the latest firefox and chrome). I remember reading about chrome version 17 or something like that being supported and I have version 21.0.1180.60 m. If 17 is supported, that seems kind of useless since it is hard to go back versions. Especially with several end users, etc. Hopefully you guys can point out if I am wrong.

If I am right about the browsers, then our next option would be to get those apps working in the data servers section for an eventual web application. This has been an issue. The htms and fexes in these apps have been created in report painter and html composer which means html composer generated code. They were also created in the MRE. We never thought we would be moving them out of the MRE so that is why they were created there. I cannot just copy the files over, especially the htm pages, because they contain links, external procedure references, etc. that contain MRE variables etc. (like domain, folder, etc.) This causes the app to not work. If I just copy over the launch page, it cannot find the fex files because they are in the MRE environment.

I have also tried pointing to those htms through a custom logon and have been unsuccessful. I am wondering if I could log them in outside of the MRE and point to those files somehow without running into security. Otherwise I am basically going to have to redo the htm pages and change the references in drill downs for the fexes which is going to be painful and time consuming (like I said, complex applications).

Thanks in advance for suggestions and If I am unclear let me know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Check out the Web Browser Support for WebFOCUS

HTML Composer pages created in WebFOCUS v7.7.03 are certified to work with IE 8 and 9, Firefox 3.6 and no Chrome versions.

In my experience, if you point-and-click to add a CSS or JS file in an MRE HTML Composer page, the CSS or JS won't work in Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera, even in Firefox v3.6 (which I'm pretty sure no one uses anymore), though it is certified to work with IE 8 and 9.

GlobalStats StatCounter says the top browser in July 2012 is Chrome at 33.81%, IE is second at 32.04%.

To get back to your issues, I wouldn't move the forms and reports from MRE to an app folder - I think you'd have to completely rewrite the forms, and you'd probably have the same problems.

Maybe you can isolate the problems you're having. Do you have a link to a JS or CSS file? If it was added via the point-and-click method, the file gets put in the Domain's Other folder, and in my humble experience, that's not kosher for Firefox et al. You may wish to add the JS directly into the HTML Composer page and see if that works. If this isn't the problem, give us more details...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input Francis. What you have said appears it might be the problem. I will look into it some more and let you know what I come up with.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
It seems I just had to mess with the spacing between the javascript code and it worked??? The fexes still need some work for chrome (has to do with the styling and chrome not being fully supported), but for now Firefox is fully operational. I can try to replicate the issue for future reference but for now, solved.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Ok. As far as the main launchpage goes, firefox was not working because of a rogue exit statement in one of the controls populated by an external procedure. (IE ignored it). Chrome did not work because I was using a hidden control that was outside of the form to perform action on elements within the form using the ibi javascript functions. If I put that control inside the form, it worked. While that would be ok for this app, it would not be ok in other scenarios. I tested using a text box both in and out of the form and it worked fine with chrome. So...from now on, I am never going to use hidden controls and I will stick to text boxes set to "Do Not Display".

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
So it seems Firefox is the best, Internet explorer is next with a security popup when downloading an excel file. Opera is the next best requiring the pdf plugin to be changed if currently set to the firefox plugin (foxit reader) to the foxit reader plugin or adobe acrobat browser plugin. Chrome would be next requiring that JavaScript components(HFREEZE etc.) be disabled (I use javascript to recognize the browzer). Safari is the worst. It has the same problem as chrome and it seems to need the EXL07 format for excel files to work properly. Also, with ipads, I am not sure how to deal with excel files properly or what software to use.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs