Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Multiple users update single FOC file - Mainframe

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Multiple users update single FOC file - Mainframe
 Login/Join

posted
How can I allow multiple users to execute same query to update records ?

Thanks
=============================================
Here is what I have done so far

I have never updated a file using focus. I have gone thru manuals and able to use MODIFY. That's good.

I wrote a query to allow multiple users to update a single FOC file.

Got ERROR " FILE IN USE ..RETRY" when second users tries to execute. We are using FIDEL (focus online)

Then did searched forum to find two words

FOCSU SHADOW ....

Here what I have stopped now.

How can I allow multiple users to execute same query to update records

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

mainframe focus FOCUS 7.1.1
Mainframe OS 390
Excel,csv

Expert
posted Hide Post
On the mainframe, it is a bit complex. First you have to have a license for the FOCUS data base as well as a license for the Simultaneous Users option. Then you have to have your systems programmers set something up, some shared area (it's been too long, I've forgotten). Then you have to set up sync machine jobs, start and stop. Then you have to refer to that sync machine in a USE command in the program doing the updating.

Good luck in your research.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ginny,

My client says it should work

I have searched the programs and found many using USE. So I believe license is good.

USE
filename ON FOCSU
END

What exactly USE /FOCSU does ? What SHADOW does ?

Thanks

Mainframe OS 390
Excel,csv

Expert
posted Hide Post
The USE statement says to funnel all update requests through the sync machine which keeps track of record updates and only allows one at a time. You could look at a Simultaneous Users manual or do a search for that on the IBI web site to get more information. Your data base will need to be added to the sync machine process.

I don't know for sure what the SHADOW option is but I think I remember it being a disaster recovery/backup kind of thing where the sync machine does a double write so that if one data base goes down, you can switch to the other.

It has been way too long for me.......

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Misha,

When FOCUS ran on an IBM/VM box, in order for many users to update simultaneously a FOCUS data base, one used a sync machine through which all updates came. This was called Absolute File Integrity. It used some features of VM to perform this. These features were ported to MVS by IBI. This worked well as long as one was updating a single FOCUS databse. Later on, with the COMBINE command, one could update more than 1 database, so a type of 2-phase commit was necessary. This was implemented by a SHADOW database.

In fact the FOCUS database held 2 copies of the database. Users had access to one copy. Updates were written to the second copy and after all changes were done, a single pointer was changed and then users had access to the updated database.

So if you are using the FOCUSSU that means that your site has use of the sync machine and also the SHADOW feature.

I hope this helps.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Danny & Ginny for providing information on focusu,shadow and combine.

I have found combine, shadow and focusu in old programs.

I have also found focusu job which runs all week and is down only on weekend. I think i have to include the foc database file name in it , so that file can go thru sync machine.

right now combine and shodow are necessary for single foc db update bt multiple users.

Is that correct ? I beleieve it is correct.

Mainframe OS 390
Excel,csv

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Misha,

To update a single FOCUS database, you do not need COMBINE. SHADOW, yes, if the FOCUS db was originally created with SHADOW.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Also, the process should utilize FOCCURRENT

COMBINE "joins" FOCUS databases together for updates.

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the SINK machine FOCUS batch job. I have included the test file in SINK JOB and was able to update the file by multiple users.

I didn't try combine,shadow or foccurrent.

Thanks all for now

Mainframe OS 390
Excel,csv