Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
FOC198 error
 Login/Join

posted
I'm getting the following error executing a FOCUS program via a batch job on MVS:

PRINT PCWKTMID
PLANT_CODE
WEEK_ID
LABOR_DATE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDDATE FORMAT FOCUS INDEX PCWKTMID
PLANT_CODE
WEEK_ID
LABOR_DATE
END

OFFLINE...

HOLDING FOCUS FILE...
NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 8891 LINES= 8891

----------------------------------------------------------------------
FOCUS 7.0.8R 19.30.46 12/11/2006 PF5021 LINE 104 7778.13

EXEC FOC$HOLD

----------------------------------------------------------------------
FOCUS 7.0.8R 19.30.46 12/11/2006 FOC$HOLD LINE 1 7778.13

SET MESSAGE=OFF

ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 9 IN PROCEDURE FOC$HOLDFOCEXEC

(FOC198) FATAL ERROR IN DATABASE I/O. FOCUS TERMINATING ERROR
WRITING HOLDDATE ,PAGE 216 ,CODE=AA000004

The JCL contains the following for HOLDDATE file:

//HOLDDATE DD UNIT=(SYSDA,7),SPACE=(0,(2000,1000),RLSE),
// DISP=(NEW,PASS)

I changed it from:

//HOLDDATE DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(1,1)),DISP=(NEW,PASS)

I get the FOC198 error either way.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Although it's pointing to a problem with the HOLDDATE, it's more then likely a FOCSORT or External sort issue. Try increasing the space for the sort and see if that does it.

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I increased the space for the FOCSORT file and got the same result.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Check the packs that the files are being created on and make sure there is enough space.

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you need to specify the DCB for a FOCUS database file, add the following to the DD statement:

,DCB=(RECFM=F,LRECL=4096,BLKSIZE=4096)

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi - I am a mainframe guru and this happens when you are out of room in a FOCUS database file that you are trying to write to. There are few things you should try.

1. Remove the RLSE from the DCB statement. This releases all the space not needed and if you are SMS managed (most large MVS shops are) you are not getting the space you allocated. Check your output and you are probably only getting a portion of what you asked for.

2. You did not specifically mention cylinders in your allocation. The default in most shops is tracks which is much smaller so you are not getting all the space you thought you allocated.

Your allocation statement should look something like this:
//HOLDDATE DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(200,100)),DISP=(NEW,PASS)

3. Create a permanent HOLDDATE file (with the required FOCUS DCB info) and make it larger than what you think you need. Make sure that you either use this right away or are allocated on a permanent non-SMS managed pack or you space will be automatically shrunk by the operating system.

Normally 1 & 2 will fix the problem.

Good luck,
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What actually fixed this problem was a change to the FOCUS program itself. I changed the statement:

DYNAM ALLOC FILE HOLDDATE UNIT SYSDA SPACE 3 1 TRACKS NEW REUSE

to

DYNAM ALLOC FILE HOLDDATE UNIT SYSDA SPACE 9 9 TRACKS NEW REUSE

which was consistent with the other dynamically allocated files used by the program.