Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Display ALIAS value with ESSBASE?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Display ALIAS value with ESSBASE?
 Login/Join

posted
Hoping for some direction as reading through the manual and googling for hours hasnt helped.

I have a report that has a CUBE or an ESSBASE back end.

Report runs fine, but the end user wants the ALIAS of the column to show up.

I popped open Essbase in excel and can see all the measures/columns etc and also an option to "Use Alias" which gives the data more information.

So rather then saying "REGN.61" if i were to use alias I can see "Northwest Region 61"

I tried using _CAPTION to see if it could pull something but doesnt work...

Does anyone know if its possible to use the column alias for an essbase report?

Im working on WF 7.6 and moving to 7.7

Thanks in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodney Chan,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Did you check the Adapter Administration for UNIX, Windows, openVMS, IBM i, and z/OS guide? (that's quite a title). There is a whole section there devoted to "Using the Adapter for Essbase".

In particular, there is a little sub-section there about fields aliases available when creating a synonym:

quote:
Make alias fields

Select the Make alias fields check box if you wish to create fields that expose the values
in your alias table. The alias table can provide meaningful field values or field values in a specific language.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njsden:
Did you check the Adapter Administration for UNIX, Windows, openVMS, IBM i, and z/OS guide? (that's quite a title). There is a whole section there devoted to "Using the Adapter for Essbase".

In particular, there is a little sub-section there about fields aliases available when creating a synonym:

quote:
Make alias fields

Select the Make alias fields check box if you wish to create fields that expose the values
in your alias table. The alias table can provide meaningful field values or field values in a specific language.

Woot woot that sounds promising!!

I will talk to my admin guy to and look up that guide as well.

Would it happen to have some examples as to how to "use" the alias in FEX code?

Like would i simply use a different column name or something?

I took a brief look at it here

http://ecl.informationbuilders...in/source/opener.htm

and wasnt too sure where to go, im still in the process of digging around Smiler

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Rodney, you were on the right place, just one click shy of where you needed to be Wink

I actually found a section under Using Adapter for Essbase called Essbase Reporting With WebFOCUS.

Though I did not dig deep enough, it seems to focus on reporting features particular to Essbase so it may be worth looking at.

Sorry I do not use Essbase or any other cube-based engine for that matter so I'm afraid there's not much I can suggest other than pointing you to the docs.

Do let us know what your findings are so other Essbase professionals (who knows? that could be me in the future) know how to proceed in a case like this.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

posted Hide Post
Many thanks njsden!!!

So i spoke to my webfocus admin guy and was able to find an option when creating the master file to "Make alias field"

This is a little check mark in one of the pages that he uses to generate the master file.

When looking at the master file after selecting this option you will notice a few changes.

Without this field, in the master file you will see that to pull the data the column name may be like

DIMENSION=Location, CAPTION='Location', $
  HIERARCHY=Location, CAPTION='Location Levels', HRY_DIMENSION=Location, HRY_STRUCTURE=STANDARD, $
    FIELDNAME=LOCATION, ALIAS='Gen1,Location', USAGE=A8, ACTUAL=A8,
      WITHIN='*Location',
      PROPERTY=UID,  $
    FIELDNAME=GEN2_LOCATION, ALIAS='Gen2,Location', USAGE=A8, ACTUAL=A8,
      WITHIN=LOCATION,
      PROPERTY=UID,  $
    FIELDNAME=GEN3_LOCATION, ALIAS='Gen3,Location', USAGE=A24, ACTUAL=A24,
      WITHIN=GEN2_LOCATION,
      PROPERTY=UID,  $...... 

In this example i would use GEN2_LOCATION in the FEX to pull the corresponding data.

After using the "Make alias field" option the master file code changes like so

DIMENSION=Location, CAPTION='Location', $
  HIERARCHY=Location, CAPTION='Location Levels', HRY_DIMENSION=Location, HRY_STRUCTURE=STANDARD, $
    FIELDNAME=LOCATION, ALIAS='Gen1,Location', USAGE=A8, ACTUAL=A8,
      WITHIN='*Location',
      PROPERTY=UID,  $
    FIELDNAME=GEN2_LOCATION, ALIAS='Gen2,Location', USAGE=A5, ACTUAL=A5,
      WITHIN=LOCATION,
      PROPERTY=UID,  $
    FIELDNAME=GEN2_LOCATION_ALIAS, ALIAS='Gen2,Location_ALIAS', USAGE=A8, ACTUAL=A8,
      REFERENCE=GEN2_LOCATION, PROPERTY=CAPTION,  $
    FIELDNAME=GEN3_LOCATION, ALIAS='Gen3,Location', USAGE=A7, ACTUAL=A7,
      WITHIN=GEN2_LOCATION,
      PROPERTY=UID,  $..... 

There are extra fields now with the word ALIAS appended to the end, so in the new master file with alias you see GEN3_LOCATION_ALIAS.

Originally it was just GEN3_LOCATION.

Using this in the fex, you can now see the ALIAS fields, which usually provides more info then a generic piece of table data. So no fancy coding needed, just need to get the right field Smiler

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Very nice!. We both learned something here Wink