Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     compound document tool

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
compound document tool
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm trying to use the compound document tool on 2 reports. Each report has the 'ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF' line, but when I run the compound report. I only get the NO HTML page with how many lines each report created. If I take out the 'ON TABLE PCHOLD' line and run the compound report, I get both reports together, but in an HTML file not PDF.

So, what's the secret to getting the PDF output?

Server Environment: Win2K3 Server WebFOCUS 7.13 Apache Tomcat standalone application server

Gold member
posted Hide Post
What version of WF are you running?

Also, can you post the code that was created?

Posts: 21 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 24, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
For your 1st report:

SET COMPOUND = OPEN
or
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN

For your last report:

SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
or
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE

Access the Compound Report Constructor by right-clicking the Procedures folder under any application.

Click New and then Procedure from the context menu.

The Add Procedure dialog box opens.

In the Look in drop-down list, select the name of the application for which you are creating a report procedure.

The display box lists all the Master Files currently associated with the selected application.

In the File name field, type a name for the new procedure; do not include an extension. Developer Studio automatically appends the extension .fex.

In the Files of type drop-down list, accept the default, Procedure Files (*.fex).

In the Create with drop-down list, select Compound Document Tool.

Click Open. The Compound Report Constructor dialog box appears.

For more information about the Compound Report Constructor dialog box, see Compound Report Constructor Dialog Box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top of page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference: Compound Report Constructor Dialog Box

Resulting Fex Name

Displays the procedure name you previously entered in the New Procedure dialog box.

Choose Focexecs

Lists procedures that you can use to create a Compound Report.

Note: This tool does not prohibit a user from adding incompatible procedures to the Compound Report procedure, but ignores them when the procedure is executed.

Choose Operations

Highlight an operation and click the ADD button or simply double-click it to add it to the Results field:

Document Open

You must select this option prior to adding any other operation to the Results field box, and it must be the first operation displayed in the list. This option is required to activate the report concatenation process and must be listed as the first operation in the Results section.

Document Open Nobreak

Select this option to start the concatenation process and suppress the page break between the first two reports. By default, each report appears on a separate page.

No Page Break

Specify No Page Break to indicate where reports should appear continuously without a page break. This option only affects the subsequent report listed in the Results section.

Page breaks are inserted between reports by default unless you specify this option.

Document Close

This option must precede the final report and is required to close the concatenation process.

Amper assignment

Select this option to specify values for any parameters that may be included in the Compound Report. You must add this option to the Results field prior to adding the corresponding report.

Set

Click this operation to launch the Set tool. The Set tool lists commands you can employ during a Developer Studio session.

Comment

Use this to add a comment to the procedure.

If you want to remove an operation from the Results field box, highlight it and click the Delete button.

Note: You can place individual reports, breaks, sets, etc. in any order by highlighting and clicking the Up and Down buttons located to the right of the Results field box.

Top of page

Reference: Usage Notes for the Compound Report Constructor
Individual reports can be opened and edited in the Report Painter, but a Compound Report cannot be opened in its entirety in the Report Painter. When you combine reports with different formats other than PDF, certain StyleSheet attributes and reporting capabilities available to HTML and other styled formats may not be compatible with a PDF report format. Since the Compound Report Constructor generates a PDF document, some of these options may not appear in the final concatenated report, or may result in an incomplete request. In most cases, WebFOCUS will ignore unsupported options and substitute default PDF output. However, in some circumstances, it may be necessary to reformat the report to comply with standard PDF behavior.

Note:

Compound reports cannot be nested or contain another Compound Report.

You can save or hold the output from a compound report. For details, see Output File Formats.

Procedure: How to Use the Compound Report Constructor

To create a compound report with the Compound Report Constructor, perform the following steps:

From the Choose Focexecs field box, select the procedures for which you want to create a Compound Report. Add a procedure to the Results field by double-clicking it or by highlighting it and then clicking the ADD button.

For more information, see Compound Report Constructor Dialog Box.

From the Choose Operations field box, add an operation to the Results field by double-clicking it or by highlighting it and then clicking the ADD button.

When you have finished selecting the operation, click Apply.

Click OK to save your report.

Top of page

Procedure: How to Run a Compound Report
After you have created your report, you can run it from the details pane in Developer Studio.

Right-click a procedure in the details pane.

Select Run from the context menu.

The Compound Report appears in your browser. You can also schedule and run your report with ReportCaster. For more information about ReportCaster, see your ReportCaster documentation.

Tom

Nobody reads anymore???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I have read this documentation already and it doesn't say anything about needing to have a PDF OPEN command in the first selected fex file and a PDF CLOSE command it the last fex file of the compound report. Is there no way to have a fex that creates a PDF output which can run by itself or can be added as the first, middle, or last part of a separate compound report?

What I'm trying to do is reuse code so I don't have to change multiple reports everytime there is a change requested.

WF 7.1.3
DevStudio 7.1.4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bethany,

Server Environment: Win2K3 Server WebFOCUS 7.13 Apache Tomcat standalone application server

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes... you can do something like:

SET COMPOUND=OPEN
-INCLUDE FEX1
SET COMPOUND=OPEN NOBREAK
-INCLUDE FEX2
SET COMPOUND=CLOSE
-INCLUDE FEX3

Posts: 21 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 24, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
The generated syntax in R7 is different than it was previously. Can you post the code that has been generated by the tool?

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This code works great a couple simple reports made using the CAR table, but I'm trying to apply it to my actual reports now and I'm running into trouble.

I've got:
SET COMPOUND = OPEN
-INCLUDE AC63WYA4
SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
-SET &PERIOD = 02;
-SET &FY = '2007';
-SET &AU = '500112';
TABLE FILE GL_AMOUNTS_CALC
SUM
     'GL_YTD_&PERIOD' AS 'YTD'
	 BY ACCT_UNIT
	 BY ACCOUNT
WHERE ACCT_UNIT EQ '&AU'
AND FISCAL_YEAR EQ '&FY'
ON TABLE HOLD AS HSUM FORMAT FOCUS INDEX ACCT_UNIT
END
DEFINE FILE HSUM
CAT1/A30 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 1999 THEN 'ASSETS'
           ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 2000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 'LIABILITIES'
		   ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 3000 AND ACCOUNT LE 4999 THEN 'REVENUES' ELSE 'EXPENSES';
SORT1/I1 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 1999 THEN 1
           ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 2000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 2
		   ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 3000 AND ACCOUNT LE 4999 THEN 3 ELSE 4;
CAT2/A30 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 'NET_ASSETS'
           ELSE 'NET_AMOUNT';
SORT2/I2 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 1 ELSE 2;
END
SET EMPTYREPORT = ON
TABLE FILE HSUM
SUM
     YTD/P17.2CB AS ''
BY ACCT_UNIT NOPRINT
BY SORT2 NOPRINT
BY CAT2 NOPRINT
BY SORT1 NOPRINT
BY CAT1 AS ''
ON CAT2 SUBTOTAL AS ''
ON CAT2 SUBFOOT
"Net Assets: Positive = Receivable, Negative = Unspent Cash"
WHEN SORT2 EQ 1;
ON CAT2 SUBFOOT
"Net Amount: Should be equal to zero after allocation run"
WHEN SORT2 EQ 2;
HEADING
"SUMMARY "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
END
-EXIT

I've deleted the styling out for the 2nd report. The output I'm getting is the No HTML Output! page with no error messages just the lines of output for the FEX1 file. When I run the FEX1 file on it's own, I get the PDF output. Also, when I run just the code for the 2nd fex alone, I get the PDF output

Any suggestions why this isn't working?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
In response to Piipster's request, here is the code generated by the compound document tool.

SET COMPOUND = OPEN NOBREAK
EX reportA
EX reportb
SET COMPOUND = CLOSE

This code produced a single page PDF output with both reports included (and as expected) and both reports had the line, ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Bethany,

Your code:

SET COMPOUND = OPEN
-INCLUDE AC63WYA4
SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
I'm assuming AC63WYA4 creates a PDF;

ON TABLE HOLD AS HSUM FORMAT FOCUS INDEX ACCT_UNIT
END

-RUN *** Place a -RUN after your FOCUS DB creation

DEFINE FILE HSUM
CAT1/A30 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 1999 THEN 'ASSETS'
ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 2000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 'LIABILITIES'
ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 3000 AND ACCOUNT LE 4999 THEN 'REVENUES' ELSE 'EXPENSES';
SORT1/I1 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 1999 THEN 1
ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 2000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 2
ELSE IF ACCOUNT GE 3000 AND ACCOUNT LE 4999 THEN 3 ELSE 4;
CAT2/A30 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 'NET_ASSETS'
ELSE 'NET_AMOUNT';
SORT2/I2 = IF ACCOUNT GE 1000 AND ACCOUNT LE 2799 THEN 1 ELSE 2;
END

Change -EXIT at botton to -RUN
After the last -RUN

SET COMPOUND=CLOSE *** Place your COMPOUND=CLOSE here
-EXIT
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The No HTML Output page was actually coming up after the first fex file. I finally figured out why. In my first fex file, I had a -EXIT at the very end of the code. I removed that and it's now working using the following:

SET COMPOUND = OPEN
-INCLUDE FEX1
SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
CODE FOR 2ND FEX
END

The SET COMPOUND = CLOSE does come before the last fex file in the compound report.

Thanks for your help.