Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Dashboards for mobile in 8.0.1.0

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Dashboards for mobile in 8.0.1.0
 Login/Join

posted
All,

Newbie question about designing dashboards in our 8.0.1.0 environment.

Is it possible to code dashboards so that they re-size to fit mobile devices (iPad, Android & iOS phones, etc) as well as desktops and laptops in this version?

Or do we need to upgrade to the latest 8.1.0.5 to have the "responsive design" features to do this?

Also, for clarity, we have not purchased the "mobile" add-on.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.5

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already started, I'd go with the latest. I believe Responsive Portal Containers were a new feature of 8.1xx

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
BE aware that responsive portals are heavy, in particular for mobile devices. In particular iPad/iPhones

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
"Heavy" meaning they require a large amount of server-side resources? Or they tend to load slowly on the mobile devices?

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.5

Expert
posted Hide Post
They tend to load up the mobile device.

Also depends on your design and the size of your portal (number of tabs and iframes)

We have seen Safari on iPads crash due to memory usage. The OS will clear memory to save the device, including the apps like safari.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bldkfs98:
All,

Newbie question about designing dashboards in our 8.0.1.0 environment.

Is it possible to code dashboards so that they re-size to fit mobile devices (iPad, Android & iOS phones, etc) as well as desktops and laptops in this version?

Or do we need to upgrade to the latest 8.1.0.5 to have the "responsive design" features to do this?

Also, for clarity, we have not purchased the "mobile" add-on.

Thanks in advance.

In WebFOCUS 8.1.0.5, there are two checkboxes when first creating an HTML page: One that indicates it will be used with mobile devices, and another that says charts should be resized automatically. This sets up the responsive design ability.

I must admit that I will probably need to take a class to understand how this works in WebFOCUS. I know how to create responsive design pages from scratch without using WebFOCUS. In fact, I just completed one today. But I'm finding it tricky to create one using App Studio. In addition to the checkboxes mentioned above, you need to take the components that will need to change size and position and change the "Autosize options" for each one from "Keep size and position" to "Accept any changes". This will make the page "fluid" so it can fit properly on mobile devices.

But exactly how to make the page display the way I want it to for different sized mobile devices in portrait or landscape mode is a mystery to me (e.g., having panels with charts in them go across the mobile device in landscape mode, but stacked vertically in portrait mode). Without using WebFOCUS, I would use CSS media queries to accomplish this. I probably still can, as App Studio allows you to create custom CSS code, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I found that I was able to take my responsive design/mobile page that I created from scratch and plug it into a WebFOCUS BI Portal. It works, but I had to select the "fluid layout" option in the portal page first.

For testing your mobile device with WebFOCUS, I recommend downloading and using a Chrome browser add-on that simulates what your HTML page looks like on various mobile devices:

Mobile Browser Emulator for Chrome

(For some reason, when WebFOCUS launches the Chrome browser after I sign in and open my responsive design page, the mobile design add-on is not present. I get around this by opening a second Chrome browser from my Windows taskbar, then copying and pasting the link in the first Chrome browser to the second one.)

I hope this helps anyone else who is looking for information about mobile devices and WebFOCUS.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I struggled to get the HTML Composer to work with mobile/responsive behavior. I ended up acquiring IBI's responsive templates CM package and that gave me a better idea of how the tool works with responsive settings and components/elements. I highly suggest getting a copy for your sites!

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post