Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     how to reuse/access the simple matrix report columns

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
how to reuse/access the simple matrix report columns
 Login/Join

posted
I have created a simple matrix report similar to the one below and i want to store the output in a HOLD file to report against it.
when i tried print * its working fine with different column names with spaces however, When i tried to print or set alias for those columns i am getting an error: THE FIELDNAME IS NOT RECOGNIZED

Actually i having 4 values against Across columns how can i print or set alias for this across columns in HOLD file?

Kindly assist me.....
Below is the sample code for your refernce

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
SUM CURR_SAL
BONUS
ACROSS DEPARTMENT
BY CURR_JOBCODE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HLD_MATRIX FORMAT FOCUS
END

TABLE FILE HLD_MATRIX
PRINT
'HLD_MATRIX.SEG01.CURR_SAL' AS 'NAME1'
'HLD_MATRIX.SEG01.BONUS' AS 'NAME2'
END

(Using WF 769)

WebFOCUS 769, Windows XP platform and Output formats: HTML,excel, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Your field names are probably influencd by the ASNAMES setting.
You can find out what the fieldnames in your master are by issueing the command
TYPE HLD_MATRIX.MAS
immediately after your first table request.
It will show you exactly what fieldnames have been created.
You'll get one set of field names for each value of the across field.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you execute this command after holding the file
?FF HLD_MATRIX
you will see that the ACROSS affects how the column names are generated.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
?FF HLD_MATRIX

Thank you.
Francis,
Below is my output against ?FF

APP S04 E01 A15V
APP V04 E02 A15V
APPGSDB E03 A15V
APPSUPPLIER MGMT E04 A15V

it seems actual column has spaces so i tried using E01 as column name and it worked. Is that a right way?
Please advice.

Expert
posted Hide Post
When HOLDing data with ACROSS, do not FORMAT FOCUS:

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
SUM 
         CURR_SAL
 COMPUTE BONUS/P7.2 = CURR_SAL*.05;
ACROSS DEPARTMENT
BY CURR_JOBCODE
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HLD_MATRIX 
END 
-RUN
TABLE FILE HLD_MATRIX
PRINT
     CURR_SAL AS 'NAME1'
     BONUS    AS 'NAME2'
END
-EXIT

hth

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Flynn!

Can you please advice the impact of it so that it will be helpful in future scenarios...

Expert
posted Hide Post
If the ACROSS column has blanks in its value, the column name will have blanks in it. To specify a column name with blanks, use '' or use the alias E99.

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
ACROSS COUNTRY
BY SEATS
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT ALPHA
END
?FF H001

TABLE FILE H001
PRINT 'SALW GERMANY'
END

---

FORMAT FOCUS does not name the columns based on the data! You will end up with a pile of columns with the same name (different E99 aliases though). (This I find very surprising!)

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
ACROSS SEATS
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT FOCUS
END
?FF H001

Change "FOCUS" to "ALPHA" to see the difference.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
i am getting completely reverse when i am having FORMAT FOCUS i am getting different column name with additional column 'FOCLIST'

whereas when it is FORMAT ALPHA or without format i am getting pile of columns with the same name!