Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] WebFOCUS report Performance

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] WebFOCUS report Performance
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hello friends,

I am currently working on

-> WebFOCUS version 7.7.03.

-> Websphere v 6.1 with WebFOCUS client on Linux x64-bit OS (Webserver/Application server).

-> WebFOCUS reporting server running on mainframe Z/OS 1.9.

-> Data source used is IDMS.

Whenever I run a report from Developer Studio or MRE, the report with 30 records also takes 5 minutes but finally gives the output. Is this because of too many tiers that are involved in the environment that are hitting the report performance?

Thanks for any assistance.

Thanks
Teju

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Product & Release: WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Op. Sys: Linux for x64 64 bit
O/P formats: HTML & PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you run this directly on the WebFOCUS server ? to test how long it takes.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
If I run the same report on Mainframe (Reporting server running on Mainframe), it runs instantaneously.

Thanks
Tejovathi

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I mean, when I run the same report on RUMBA mainframe display, the output is instantaneous.

Please let me know if that is what you mean?

Thanks
Tejovathi

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, I guess the ontly thing you can do is to test each tier till it runs for 5 minutes.

The reporting server isn't the problem becasue its instantaneous.

What othere tiers do you have ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Websphere with Webfocus client on Linux x64-bit OS is another tier.

Thanks
Tejovathi

Expert
posted Hide Post
Well you should be able to test the call from the WF Client.

All WF clients will have a test utility called RDAAPP

You can use this to call the reporting server and issue the request.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
You may also want to look into tracing on the client as well.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,

Is RDAAPP something on mainframe server using which I can execute the .fex file and check its performance? If not, please tell me how to logon to RDAAPP, test for performance from there?

I am asking this because this term RDAAPP is pretty much new to me.

Thanks
Tejovathi

Expert
posted Hide Post
Looks like things have changed since I used RDAAPP on a WebFOCUS Client Installation.

Its not there.

You may have to do this with tracing.

I can only guerss that there is a delay from a web or client call to the MF reporting server.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,

Right now, we are using IDMS (Mainframe db) for reporting, which is also being accessed by many other users in the organization. Is it that the call made by the WF client to the WF reporting server is queued up because of the network traffic and hence causing the long response time?

Also, do you think that we can improve the response time of the report if we are going to migrate off the mainframe database to Oracle database and use Oracle database only for reporting purpose?

Need a quick suggestion from you because we are planning to implement that in the coming weeks.

Thanks
Tejovathi

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are going direct against the DB there should be many gains.

It all comes down to the result set and pushing back any filtering, so the minimum number of records that can be returned, are.

This will hopefully solve the performance/network issues.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I think I would ever be in touch with you to get my doubts cleared.

Thanks
Tejovathi