Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Access a FOCUS DB on another server with APP or USE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Access a FOCUS DB on another server with APP or USE
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like to access a FOCUS DB on an AIX server from a Windows server. I have no trouble accessing the DB2 database on the remote server, but I don't know how to set up the APP command (or USE command to access the remote server's FOCUS DB (The database is in an APP folder on the remote server, but the folder is not in the remote server's APP PATH).

I thought this would set up the remote database for local access, but I haven't been able to make it work:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

APP MAP REMOTE1 "//psl-app.ogc.net/psl/ibi/apps_psl_534/ibinccde"
-RUN

APP PREPENDPATH REMOTE1
-RUN

? PATH
-RUN

APP SHOWPATH
-RUN

WHENCE FEQ_USER FOCUS
-RUN

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
can you set up a directory share on the remote server and map a drive to the share so windows can look at it as a network drive? - just throwing out a thought. Also, can't you just create an EDA sysnonym on your Windows server that points to the MFD on your AIX server for the focus db?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I can't do the first suggestion, but I can possibly do the second. How do you create an EDA synonym on one server to point to the MFD on the AIX server?

Thanks,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You would have 2 reporting servers.

AIX will be the SUB Server, with the MFD pointing to the FOCUS db suffix=foc

Windows will be the HUB Server, you'll need to set up a Remote Server

HTTP://Localhost:8121
Remote Servers
Add TCP (fill in the information and Save)
Configured (you'll now see the new node)
Left Click, Create Synonym

The newly created synonym should be suffix=eda

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1.6, Windows 2003

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Windows 2003

Expert
posted Hide Post
I've set up the remote server, to the best of my abilities. I had to leave the default port number, as I do not know what it might be.

When I attempt to "Select Synonym Candidates for EDA", it seems to be attempting to connect to a DBMS because the error messages I get are:

(FOC35804) BAD STATUS CODE (-9) RECEIVED FROM SERVER BASEL01
(FOC35859) EDA STATUS (-9): ERROR CONNECTING TO SERVER
(IWAY32007) ngcon error = 32007
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -9 (HEX: FFFFFFF7) 
(FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR. 
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -9 (HEX: FFFFFFF7) 
(FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.  

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's having a hard time connecting to the reporting server on aix.

If you know how to connect to it's server console. http://ComputerName:PortNumber what you may want to do is insert that PortNumber -1

For instance 8121 becomes 8120.

posted Hide Post
Francis,

The -9 is a connection failure and is mostly likely because your port number is not correct. Do you have access to the Web console for your AIX server? If so you can get the Port number by logging into the console -> Workspace -> Configuration Files -> Communiction (this is a web interface to odin.cfg)

You will find your TCP port and HTTP port in here. If you cannot access from the console you can access the odin.cfg on your file system for the reporting server srv53\wfs\etc\odin.cfg (You will need to know the home of where it is installed). You will also be able to get the Port number from you WebFOCUS client if you connect directly to your AIX server from the client.

Here is an alternate way instead of creating metadata linking to your FOCUS database on the remote server.

REMOTE DEST = server
REMOTE USER = userid (if your remote server is secured)
REMOTE PASS = password (if your remote server is secured)
-RUN
-REMOTE BEGIN
APP PATH IBISAMP
TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
PRINT
ED_HRS
BY EMP_ID
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS HOLD1
END
-REMOTE END
-RUN
TABLE FILE HOLD1
HEADING CENTER
"SUMMARY REPORT OF EMPLOYEE CLASSROOM HOURS" " "
SUM
ED_HRS
BY EMP_ID
END

The REMOTE DEST is the name you gave the node when you configured your remote server. The ID and Password are if your remote server is running secure. You can encrypt your password or set it in the configuration of your remote server. Everything between -REMOTE BEGIN and -REMOTE END will be executed on the remote server. Dialog Manager kills Remote execution so you cannot have Dialog Manager between the BEGIN and END. The other part is your last request from the remote execution has to be a PCHOLD which will return the data and master file to your HUB server.

If you decide to create the metadata, then you will have to either add the folder in your path or create a user profile that contains the path to the database. Only the metadata that is in the path on the remote server will display.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jeff, thank you very much for your fine, detailed response.

Using your instructions, I found the odin.cfg file on the AIX server.

Unfortunately, I cannot to connect "remotely" to the AIX server. I've tried both TCP and HTTP; using the IP address and server name; explicit and password pass-through - no luck.

Thanks.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Doh! Genius dhagen just reminded me that there's a firewall here that will prevent me from doing this!

Francis

posted Hide Post
Francis,

Does your WebFOCUS client connect to your AIX reporting server? If so open up the odin.cfg on your client (ibi\WebFOCUS53\Client53\wfs\etc\odin.cfg) and locate the entry for your AIX server. You can copy the entry from NODE to END and paste it in the odin.cfg on your Windows server ibi\srv53\wfs\etc\odin.cfg. Just make sure the node name is not a duplicate. You can give it any node name you want because the node name is just how that connection is referenced and has nothing to do with connecting to the AIX iWay/EDA server. The protocol, host and port is used for the connection.

Do you know what security mode your iWay/EDA server is running in for AIX? If you are running iWay/EDA on both your AIX and Windows environments there is no reason why you should not be able to connect unless security is running and you are not authorized.

posted Hide Post
The firewall will be a problem.