Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Save a PDF layout painter compound report on the disk

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Save a PDF layout painter compound report on the disk
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I have a few PDF compound reports created with PDF Layout Painter which I need to save on the disk and then merge them together into 1 big PDF.
Does anyone have an idea how I can do it?
Thanks in advance.

WF 8.0.6
Windows Server 2003

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Adobe Professional / Distiller. Not something that can be done within WF unless you can combine ALL of the reports into a single compound PDF document FEX.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Darin, then how do i save a PDF Layout Painter report on a disk?

WF 8.0.6
Windows Server 2003

Expert
posted Hide Post
APP HOLD dirname
TABLE FILE ...
PRINT ...
BY ...
ON TABLE HOLD AS pdf_file_name FORMAT PDF
END

This will put your pdf file in your application path (ibi/apps).

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ginny, while APP HOLD is a powerful command, it has to be used carefully. If two people run a request with the same hold file name to the same APP HOLD dirname, one would overwrite the other.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ginny, it works fine on the 1st compound and crashes when it tries to run the 2nd.
I have to save 20-25 PDF Layout compound reports one after another.
any other ideas?
Thanks

WF 8.0.6
Windows Server 2003

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I understand that and there is a different technique for that. If it a multi-use program, I use edatemp or another technique with a temp directory. Alek wants to save the pdfs in permanent place so he can merge them.

Alek,

What do you mean that it crashes? Are you naming the files differently? Do you have enough space where you are trying to put them?

Let us know.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I name files 1.pdf, 2.pdf etc. one for each compound report.
It creates the 1st pdf fine, then creates 2nd as a blank page and gives a message "Agent Crashed" and doesn't go any further

WF 8.0.6
Windows Server 2003

Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, that's not good, is it? The first thing we have to do is simplify the process to see if you can write multiple pdfs.

Why don't you create a focexec using the CAR file and create the multiple pdf files. Looks like you only need to do 2 to get it to fail. You can use a test directory so as not to mess up the thing you are actually working on.

If that works, you might need to get a server trace when you run your real program so that you can find out why the agent is abending.

Another thing. Can you tell us whether you are running this thing from Dev. Studio, a browser, or RC?

Ginny