Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     WebFOCUS remembering selections on refresh

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
WebFOCUS remembering selections on refresh
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm using resource layout to create a chain of three selections boxes (this is the first time I've used this). It's all working fine except that WebFOCUS is remembering the selections made. When I reload the page I want the boxes to return to ALL as the selected value, whereas at the moment they show the last selections unless a) I close down IE and re-open it or b) press the reset button. Neither of these is a suitable option to get all my users to do. I note in the code created by resource layout there is a 'cacheruntimedata=0' do I need to change the setting for this, and if so what to? I can't find any mention of it on the IBI website.

Help!!

Tewy

WF 7.6.11
Output: HTML, PDF, Excel

Posts: 123 | Location: UK | Registered: October 09, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What version of WebFOCUS are you using?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm on 533

WF 7.6.11

Expert
posted Hide Post
Not sure that it has anything to do with it, but having said that, I don't think that the attribute cacheruntimedata is specifically IB related and is possibly (can the PM confirm) passed to a Java bean to allow a prefetch to be achieved an therefore possibly improve performance (!).

You could try setting the value to -1 on some (or one) of the selects and then force a reload by CTRL and F5 and then see whether this affects the selections. The -1 is normally used to negate the attribute so if this doesn't work then you could try a low number other than 0 (I would have thought from this point of view that 0 would mean no caching?).

Let us know how you get on as this could affect us all (I have also seen it this morning in 7.1.3).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
i've tried setting it to 1, 0 and -1 but no difference. it's a particular problem to me as I have a chain of three select boxes, and in the second and third boxes the same code appears multiple times (each for a different value from box 1). If my user selects from box 1 and box 2 runs the job, then goes back and changes box 1, WebFOCUS automatically selects for box 2 whatever code was selected the last time, instead of re-setting to ALL.

Problem is as you say I don't even know if cacheruntimedata affects it at all, it could be somewhere totally different!

Tewy

WF 7.6.11

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tewy,

The only other alternative I can think of at the moment, is a bit sledge hammer etc. but at least it should achieve what you want.

Add an extra OnLoad event to your BODY tag. It could have onload=Onload() . Just end this statement (as it should be anyway) with a semi-colon and add ResetSelects(); so that the code looks like -

onload=OnLoad();ResetSelects();

If you are on 7.1.n, I am led to believe that the onload is no longer used so you will have to add -

onload=ResetSelects();

to your BODY tag.

Then add a new function within a Script tag pairing and paste this function -

function ResetSelects() {
       selectCol = document.getElementsByTagName("SELECT");
       for(i=0; i<selectCol.length; i++) {
          var el = selectCol[i];
          this.displayElement = document.getElementById(el.id);
          this.displayElement.selectedIndex = 0;
       }
    }

This should then reposition your combo boxes to the first index entry (normally the ALL option) upon loading.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tewy:

Try adding a reset button to your form. Add this code to your form

"input name="reset" type="Reset" value="Reset Form"

Posts: 62 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 29, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JohnK,

As per Tewy's initial comment -
quote:
or b) press the reset button. Neither of these is a suitable option
I did think of suggesting that but then I re-read the first posting. Confused

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'll give your suggestion a try. Today is my last day in the office then I'm on hols for a week, I'll worry about it when I get back!!

Thanks

WF 7.6.11

Gold member
posted Hide Post
If the reset button approach doesn't work then you are probably not using a form. For some reason the WebFOCUS HTML painter does not create forms. What I do is create conventional forms for my launch pages.

To learn how to do that study the "Century Demo" and see the techniques they use to launch reports. For the technique of chaining, create a dummy launch page using the HTML painter. Then bring up the code in a conventional editor, and copy the generated code for the chained select boxes. Paste that code into a conventionally written form. This way you combine conventional html forms (with a reset button) with the unique chaining logic used by webfocus.

Trying to understand the code generated by the HTML painter is very difficult, and it's probably best to just use it for research purposes and not for production code.

Posts: 62 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 29, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

The reset button does work (I too create my html pages in notepad), however this is the first page I've created using resource layout to populate and link selection boxes. Since in all my other webpages once the user clicks on submit the options all reset to their default values, this page must work the same way. (I don't like to under-estimate my users, but having one page that looks the same as all the others but does not operate in the same way will confuse them).

I call it muppet-proofing, (aka idiot-proofing) and I find people don't use the query pages unless a lot of it has been done!!

Thanks

Tewy

WF 7.6.11

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tewy:

If you have previously created webpages using notepad, then use one of them as a template for your new webpage.

The reason you used the WebFOCUS HTML painter was to populate and link selection boxes. Well, open up the WebFOCUS generated code and copy the generated code for the chained selection boxes, and paste them into your conventionally created webpage. You will also need to some WebFOCUS generated javascript code.

I'm not sure what code will be generated by your version of WebFOCUS, but on mine I had this code generated:

<script id=IbiOptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls";
var multidrill = "multidrill";
var mntFormValidate = "mntFormValidate";
var dyncalendar = "dyncalendar";
var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls,mntFormValidate,multidrill);

<script id=nls src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js" type=text/javascript>
<script id=ibigbl src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js" type=text/javascript>
<script id=ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>ibigblloadCss(null);

<script type=text/javascript>
< !--
window.chain0=new Array(1);
window.chain0[0]=new String("ITEM12;ITEM14");
window.chain0[1]=0
//-->

<script id=OnloadHandler>
function OnLoad() {
< !--startibilines-->
UpdateData();
< !--endibilines-->
}

You may have to play around with it to get it to work, but once you do, you can use this as a model for all subsequent launch pages that use chained select boxes.