Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [REOPENED] HTML Composer: Advanced Question #1: 'OR' 'BY' 'AND'

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[REOPENED] HTML Composer: Advanced Question #1: 'OR' 'BY' 'AND'
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I have an HTML Composer GUI designed screen.

On it I have a double-list box where I select the BY columns I want in the report. The parameter generated has a value something like this: COLUMN1 BY COLUMN2 BY COLUMN4. I also have a double-list box where I select the report columns I want in the report. The parameter generated has a value something like this: COLUMN6 AND COLUMN8 AND COLUMN9.

I created a new HTML Composer GUI designed screen, copying the working one.

I added a new button to the parameter screen and added a hyperlink pointing to another report fex with very similar code. For some reason the parameter gets generated like this: COLUMN1 OR COLUMN2 OR COLUMN4 and COLUMN6 OR COLUMN7 OR COLUMN9. Not what I want.

In the real world, parameter screens and report fexes evolve at different paces. Why are these so tied together in HTML Composer? Something's broken. I would like to know how I can fix it, even, heaven forbid, by editing the code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Using my favourite text editor EditPlus, I compared the two HTML files and found the fix:

I found the code operation="OR" , operation="BY", operation="AND" and manually edited the code and replaced the bad code with the good. I then opened the page in HTML Composer GUI and saved. The changes took, so all is good. I'm chronicling this here, so I can find this post the next time I am in the same bind.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Best practice is to create reports and charts procedures first so when they are added to a page, they get parsed for unresolved variables and controls get automatically created with those variable names. It can be done the opposite way, but then the developer needs to know the variable names and mustang ally bind the controls. As far as "AND", "OR", etc., go, when creating a multiselect control without a report procedure first to parse, the developer must select the correct operator in the Properties and Settings dialog. It seems like you may have selected "OR" inadvertently.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
I do not use a GUI tool to create my reports. I'm forced to use a GUI tool to create my HTML pages. I just don't get why the report and the HTML page are bound together? Why can't I properly develop an HTML page with HTML Composer and decide whether a multi-select is an OR, an AND or a BY?

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
You can, and I believe I explained it. You should read the doc too. The operator comes from the parameter declaration and it can be declared in the report or Composer.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
parameter declaration

Where is this parameter declaration in this screenshot of the properties and settings window?

Where are the Parameter declarations here?

I don't see anything here either:

I am tired of battling with you - HTML Composer is not an intuitive tool, reading the manual doesn't help too much. I've been working in IT since 1978 and I've found HTML Composer to be the fussiest and most annoying development tool I've ever worked with.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Documentation says:

quote:
Refresh unresolved parameters.
All parameters on the parameters tab are parsed every two minutes to check if any are
unresolved. If there are, their surrounding polygon is colored red. If you want to check
for unresolved parameters on demand, right-click and select Refresh unresolved.

The term "unresolved" is not defined.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Documentation:

This is great for new parameters, how do I get this for an existing parameter?

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I find I must remove and re-create the hyperlink for my submit button/s in order to be offered the opportunity to edit existing parameter properties and/or include new parameters that I've added after the initial build. But, as I believe you've noted elsewhere, doing this usually resets all parameters to their default settings. Oh -CRTFORM, where have you gone?

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I'm trying to help you. If you think we are "battling", that is a problem. I am pointing you to places to get assistance like the doc and I am answering your questions. I will stop doing that from this point though since I am honestly quite disappointed by that statement.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
You haven't told me where the "parameter declaration" that controls the BY, OR, AND for an existing is, and I haven't found anything in the documentation you specified.

Francis