Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Use of Deploy Scenarios in Developer Studio

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Use of Deploy Scenarios in Developer Studio
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
We in the product division are interested to know if people are using the Deployment Wizard in Developer Studio. This feature is used to deploy a local project to the web as a self-service application. It is also used to move files to Reporting Servers and the web tier. In doing this, it also modifies HTML files to have the context roots of the destination environment.

We appreciate your taking the time to respond to this.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
We don't use Projects because we use MRE and as far as I know the Deployment Wizard does not work with MRE...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
All of our web reports are self-service. Been using Web-FOCUS since 4.x. Have never used the deployment wizard. Never develop anything on the localhost either.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I do use deploy - at least since the horrendous experience with 7703 HF5 in Dev Studio / WF Client. (WF couldn't find a file in the same directory as the working directory, no way to create frames in the HTML editor, etc.). Big improvement after applying HF6 to Dev Studio - not applied to Client yet - so I use deploy to carefully move files from PC to server in a single-tier environment.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We develop everything in projects now and use deploy all the time to move into production. Please don't get rid of it.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What would you think if we replaced the Deploy Facility with an intelligent Copy/Paste whereby the user would select files to copy and then paste them to another location and behind the scenes all references to external files would be modified for the new location. For example, copying from Data Servers to Repository would update all references to be Repository paths.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
David

Would that be able to differentiate between separate Client/Server Architecture?

If so, I think it would would make deployment easier.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I asked our Admin for her opinion;

"That would also be great, however, the part I like about the Deploy feature is the fact that it won't update files that are the same 'age' or newer on the 'copy to' location and everything that 'belongs' in a project is there."

As a developer, I like the Deploy feature. I don't have to mess with copy and pasting into folders. I like the deploy scenario, it is easy and everything I need is one place. I say if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Just my two cents.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Am I correct in saying that none of the behaviour described here works for MRE?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We use deploy frequently, but ONLY for files that were created with Dev Studio. We have other files (mostly javascript and some of our HTML files) that deploy would break because the path rewriting logic is rewriting correct code into incorrect code.

Furthermore, we find that deploy is frequently rather stupid about which files to deploy as it only seems to look at file modification dates. We've had cases where deploy didn't completely copy a file over, and it wouldn't send the file again as it considered it unchanged. We had to hand-copy such files over to get a working project in production again. Ouch.

Another issue is that it always deploys ALL changes in the files in its list. Often such changes include unrelated changes for other features and those sometimes break our projects in production. There is no control over which files deploy will release and the only way of checking what it will do is to pray and deploy blindly - eeps!

Personally I'd much rather see integration with a decent source control management tool (Hg!). That would allow us to "deploy" changesets (or patches). As a bonus, such tools are a lot smarter about whether a file was changed or not.
Easy for us to say as we don't need our URL's rewritten (and would rather see that "feature" removed as it more often works against us than for us).

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Will Deploy handle things like managing versions for Change Management?

An example of this would be that when a change-set is deployed to production and found to be causing issues, can the change-set be demoted on production to get back to the original code?

I know that Deploy is supposed to integrate with SCM tools, but there is little documentation on working with the open source tools like SVN and Hg! Also, we have several users who don't use the full install of DevStudio which renders Deploy inoperable. It would be even better to have SCM integration outside of Deploy or maybe even replacing some of the Deploy functionality.

I am looking forward to the Change Management lab at Summit to explain some of this.

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.4
Win Server 2012,
Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 8 | Location: Paris, IL USA | Registered: December 08, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
The Intelligent Copy would just update references to external files to be valid for the target folder. If you copied to the Reporting Server, it would make the references for that area, and if you copied to Repository, it would update the references for that area.

Hope that clarifies.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168