Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] PDF language problems

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] PDF language problems
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

i got this PDF output problem. Report are in Lithuanian language the special letters are displayed wrong. In HTML and EXl2K output format report is displayed correctly.

Any hint will be usefull.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 7.6.10
Windows Xp Profesional, Linux
Excel, Html, PDF

posted Hide Post
quote:
usefull

Did you tried to SET the language?
E.g.
SET LANG = BAL

Version: WebFOCUS 7.6.6
O.S. WebFOCUS is mounted on Unix
Output Report: HTML, Excel, CSV, PDF and TXT

<JG>
posted
Usually this is due to an NLS configuration issue.

You must make sure that all WebFOCUS components are configured to use the same code pages (server and client)

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
well i tried to SET LANG to different languages makes no different result the same...
NLS are set to code page 1257 in both client and settings... Anything else??

WebFocus 7.6.10
Excel, Html, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There are specific font maps that are used when creating PDf output, so the characters that are needed may not be supported in the default fonts available. Would these characters all be part of the standard ASCII character set?

try running this -
DEFINE FILE SYSCOLUM
 CNTR/I9 WITH NAME = IF LAST CNTR EQ 0 THEN 32 ELSE LAST CNTR + 1 ;
 Cntr/I9 WITH NAME = CNTR - 32 ;
 Col/I9  WITH NAME = (Cntr / 30) + 1 ;
 Row/I9  WITH NAME = IMOD(Cntr, 30, 'I9') ;
END
TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
   SUM CNTR
       COMPUTE
       CHAR/A1 = HEXBYT(CNTR, 'A1') ;
ACROSS Col	NOPRINT
BY Row		NOPRINT
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 224
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=CM, PAGESIZE='A4', LEFTMARGIN=0.635000, RIGHTMARGIN=0.635000,
    TOPMARGIN=0.635000, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.635000, SQUEEZE=ON,
    ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF, FONT=TIMES NEW ROMAN, $
ENDSTYLE
END

If all the characters that you need appear, then it isn't a font issue. If there are some you need that don't appear, you'll need to add a custom font set to your installation as documented in the manuals.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

That's a great font-verification fex you created - I'm definitely putting it in my library.

The record-limit number should be 256, as there are 255 characters...

Thanks very much for this,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not taking credit for that one. Somebody else wrote it and I found it very useful like Francis and just stuck it my library. I'm not exactly sure why it starts at character 32 but I think it's because those first characters were non-printable things like carriage return, form-feed, line feed, etc.

My apologies for not giving credit to the original author.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Searched for "character map" and it looks like that post originally came from Waz - Thanks again.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Expert
posted Hide Post
Doc: How to Configure Type 1 Postscript Fonts on the Windows and UNIX Platforms

I've upgraded the fex a bit, now printing the table for every font defined in C:\ibi\srv76\home\nls\pdf.fmp. I don't know what good this will do as I don't have a font that will display the Lithuanian characters. Also, using some fonts cause odd things to happen, you'll see if you run the fex.

-*== Test PDF Font list ========================================================

SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
SET HOLDFORMAT=ALPHA
SET ASNAMES=ON
SET PAGE=NOLEAD
-RUN

-*== Retrieve list of Postscript fonts as defined in pdf.fmp =========
FILEDEF PDFFONTS DISK C:\ibi\srv76\home\nls\pdf.fmp
-RUN

FILEDEF MASTER DISK pdffonts.mas
-RUN

-WRITE MASTER FILENAME=PDFFONTS, SUFFIX=FIX, $
-WRITE MASTER SEGNAME=PDFFONTS, $
-WRITE MASTER FIELDNAME=PDFFONTS_LINE, FORMAT=A80, ACTUAL=A80, $
-WRITE MASTER DEFINE FONT_NAME_POSIT1/I4 = POSIT(PDFFONTS_LINE, 80, 'font=', 5, 'I4');
-WRITE MASTER DEFINE FONT_NAME_POSIT2/I4 = POSIT(PDFFONTS_LINE, 80, ',', 1, 'I4');
-WRITE MASTER DEFINE FONT_NAME/A50 = IF FONT_NAME_POSIT1 EQ 0  THEN '' ELSE 
-WRITE MASTER   SUBSTR(80, PDFFONTS_LINE, (FONT_NAME_POSIT1 + 5), (FONT_NAME_POSIT2 - 1), 50, 'A50');
-RUN

TABLE FILE PDFFONTS
SUM
FONT_NAME

BY FONT_NAME NOPRINT

WHERE FONT_NAME NE ''

ON TABLE HOLD AS HFONTS
END
-RUN

-*== Print font table for each font found in pdf.fmp =================
-READ HFONTS NOCLOSE &FONT_NAME.A50.

SET COMPOUND = OPEN
-RUN

-SET &FONT_CTR = 0;

-REPEAT END_REP1 WHILE &IORETURN EQ 0;

-TYPE &FONT_NAME

-SET &FONT_CTR = &FONT_CTR + 1;

DEFINE FILE SYSCOLUM
CNTR/I4 WITH NAME = IF LAST CNTR EQ 0 THEN 32 ELSE LAST CNTR + 1 ;
CNTR/I4 WITH NAME = CNTR - 32 ;
COL/I4  WITH NAME = (CNTR / 30) + 1 ;
ROW/I4  WITH NAME = IMOD(CNTR, 30, 'I4') ;
END

TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
SUM
CNTR AS ''
COMPUTE CHAR/A1 = HEXBYT(CNTR, 'A1') ; AS ''

ACROSS COL NOPRINT
BY ROW     NOPRINT

WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 256

HEADING
"Font table for &FONT_NAME"

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, PAGESIZE='Letter', ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,
LEFTMARGIN=0.5, RIGHTMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, $
TYPE=REPORT, FONT='Arial', SIZE=14, TOPGAP=0.02, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CNTR(*), COLOR=GRAY, FONT='Arial', $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CHAR(*), COLOR=BLACK, FONT='&FONT_NAME', RIGHTGAP=0.5, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-READ HFONTS NOCLOSE &FONT_NAME.A50.

-END_REP1

SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
-RUN

TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
PRINT NAME NOPRINT
WHERE READLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE SUBFOOT
"&FONT_CTR fonts printed"

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, PAGESIZE='Letter', ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,
LEFTMARGIN=0.5, RIGHTMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, $
TYPE=REPORT, FONT='Arial', SIZE=14,$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

Thanks Waz and Darin.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well, we got a little off the topic here, but I tried Francis' code and for some reason it messes up all the fonts. For example it says its Arial but prints Garalt or says its OCRA but prints in Courier. If I run them individually, everything works fine, but not when run all together. Also noticed that the font pages toward the end turn up with the numbers in the specified font instead of the characters. Weird.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

posted Hide Post
Thanks Darin, i really need to add new font because no font i have now give me the result i want.

How do i change/add new font so the letters show up? can you give a link or send me a email with that information? I can't find it somehow...

Thanks in advance.

WebFocus 7.6.10
Excel, Html, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
derekas, please see the link I posted above, "How to Configure Type 1 Postscript Fonts on the Windows and UNIX Platforms"

Francis