Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] FOCUS on VMS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] FOCUS on VMS
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anyone has experience working with Mainframe FOCUS on the VMS platform? I have been given the opportunity of developing some reports and need to know what the difference is from Mainframe FOCUS on ISPF.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Expert
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I've done that but the first thing I would tell you would be to look in a mainframe FOCUS manual, a chapter entitled "CMS Guide to Operations". That should tell you a lot that you need to know.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you using VMS under VAX or VM? VM is the Virtual Machince environment on the mainframe and works just like the MVS version. VMS FOCUS has not been upgraded since R5 (I think - maybe R6) so you might want to look for that release manual. I'm not sure if it would be online at the IBI site - but it might.

Either way - FOCUS is FOCUS is FOCUS so the actual FOCUS code is the same. YOu just have to worry about the OS stuff (e.g. file definitions).

Have fun!
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
It has been a while but I went into a project with little or no expeiance in VMS and was able to pick it up with a little instruction. Like how to navigate from directoryto directory and the such. Like as stated above FOCUS is FOCUS and if you know the OS already you should have very few problems.

Duane

WebFOCUS 8.0.7
DS 8.0.7 AS 8.0.7
Windows
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF, AHTML,Mobile
In Focus 1982

Posts: 83 | Location: Princeton NJ | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mike,

If you have experience with MF-Focus, you should have no problems with VMS. Maybe get acquainted with the editor.

I remember working on VMS some 20 years ago and it was a piece of cake.

Good luck.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post