Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Pre defined values XLS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Pre defined values XLS
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,
Greetings.

how to get some pre-defined values displayed on a drop down list on one of the columns in XLS?

Thanks in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows
Output: Excel,PDF, HTML

Posts: 42 | Registered: September 28, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Why would you want a drop-down list in Excel? Is there some further functionality you're trying to accomplish? You would normally just display each value in its own cell.

By the way, there is no WebFOCUS version 7.0. Theres 7.1.x or 7.6.x. Can you clarify your question a little and update your profile with your correct WF version?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Darin,

Thanks.

1.I want to make the autofilter in XLS through report code.

Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can do this directly from the webfocus code. You might (but no garantees here) get things like this done by using excel templates.... It's worth investigating.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Gamp,

I want to make one column in XLS as dropdown.

Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
A drop-down is a control used to populate a variable or perform some function. There is not a way for WebFOCUS to populate a control in an Excel spreadsheet. It just creates a report by populating the cells in a spreasheet with data.

Are you trying to create some sort of a launch page for an Excel quick-query type application?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Darin,

I want to Create a drop-down list from a range of cells in Excel using webfocus.

Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
Greetings.

I want to know how to populate a particular cell in EXCEL using CAR file.

Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS isn't the tool you need. It doesn't operate in the Excel environment like you're looking for. It can read an Excel file as data (if you're really desperate) and output an Excel file but it doesn't create a drop-down control in Excel from Excel data. Sounds like you need an Excel macro or something of the like.

I'm still completely confused as to why you want a drop-down control in an Excel spreadsheet. You just keep saying "I want....." without explaining what you are really trying to accomplish. In any case I really doubt you're going to get what you're looking for from WebFOCUS.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

For example,

Table file car
print car
country
on table pchold format exl2k
end

in Excel, the cell name country, there should be a dropdown to select the value from that dropdown and save.

Tahnsk in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Why don't you make the output format EXL2K PIVOT? Won't that give you what you need?
SET EMPTYREPORT = OFF
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
     SALES
BY
     CAR
HEADING
"CAR File PivotTable"
"Sum of Sales by Car"
" "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K PIVOT
PAGEFIELDS COUNTRY
CACHEFIELDS MODEL
END

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

But i need the dropdown in excel for a particualr cell.This is our requirement.
Is there any way to populate a dropdown in excel for a particular cell instead of using pivot

Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Then, you'll have to learn EXCEL and VB.

Putting a DropDown ListBox in a Cell

Many others on the web...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The drop down you're talking about sounds like an Excel AutoFilter.

You can create an Excel template where one tab is the data as retrieved via WebFOCUS and the other tab is how you want the use to see the data (with the AutoFilter). This is quite easy to do. There are very clear instructions here:

Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Choosing a Display Format > Using Excel Display Formats: Excel 2000, Excel 97, Excel > Creating Excel Templates

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Could you please provide me some example,

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Shakila

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to criticize, but in the few minutes since the previous post you could not possibly have checked out all the information in the references given to you by Tom and Francis, which I'm sure have the examples you are looking for. Try doing some of the work yourself before asking others to do it for you.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Expert
posted Hide Post
shakila25, there is enough information in the documentation for you to create an Excel template and write a WebFOCUS report to use one.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sample using CAR file:

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"CAR REPORT"
PRINT 
SALES
BY COUNTRY 
BY CAR 
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=HEADING,COLOR=BLUE,STYLE=BOLD, SIZE=14, $
ENDSTYLE 
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K PIVOT
CACHEFIELDS MODEL TYPE 
END

Webfocus 8002M, 8009

<JG>
posted
SureshKumar That's not an example of what shakila25 is looking for.

quote:
Is there any way to populate a dropdown in excel for a particular cell instead of using pivot

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I tried so many ways to populate a dropdown in excel for a particular cell instead of PIVOT.

Example:
FILEDEF TEST2 DISK test.mht
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT DCOST
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K TEMPLATE 'test' SHEETNUMBER 1
END
-RUN

1. Creating a mht file with the dropdown.
2. I tried calling the .mht file through webfocus.
3. It is replacing the values and dropdown is not populating.

Please anyone know the solution of this it will be great helpful and thanks to everyone.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Again, I don't like to be critical, but if someone's trying to do something way past their capabilities, I'm likely to say so. Your best solution is probably to pay someone who has the expertise to do what you want or get IBI tech support to walk you through the processes (which they might not do either because this involves more Excel knowledge than WF knowledge.)

Several individuals have given you more than enough information to get the job done, but you're not paying close enough attention to the details of how to accomplish individual tasks. Instead of trying to swim across the Atlantic, try a few laps in the pool first. (In other words, stick with the simpler stuff until you get the experience you need.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Expert
posted Hide Post
shakila25, heed what Darin mentions in his last posting.

Also, "It is replacing the values and dropdown is not populating" - if you have the template successfully being populated, then you're almost there!

"SHEETNUMBER 1" of Excel template (mht) "test" is what WebFOCUS populates. Any other sheet in the Excel template can refer to the cells in sheet 1. Sheet 1 is the WebFOCUS working sheet, and another sheet is the one the user should be working with. This is the one where you can set up the AutoFilters.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi..
Below link will help you to create dropdown in excel.

http://forums.informationbuild...367012926#2367012926

Thanks

WebFOCUS 8201m
Windows,AppStudio, DevStudio,All Outputs

Posts: 86 | Location: India | Registered: November 03, 2015Report This Post