Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Can you use a master file on a different server?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Can you use a master file on a different server?
 Login/Join

posted
Is it possible to use a master file that resides in a different server (within the same environment) on a report? How would this be achieved?

Long story short, a master file had to be moved to a different server but lots of reports in the old server rely on it so I have to figure out the best means of remediation. I was hoping it would be possible to just modify the reports to look to the other server.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you APP MAP to it ?

Create a new mapping and add it to the APP PATH.

This solution requires the remote directory to be shared.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Is there some reason why you can't have a copy of the master file on both servers?

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Alex - I think I may have mis-explained. There's a .foc database in the master file folder. It has a master file associated with it. I'll call this server B.

In server A I would like to have reports use the .foc database that resides on server B. Can I create a master file on server A or something else to point to the .foc database on server B?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ok,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
You can add a second reporting server to the client and then change the properties on the fex to use the other reporting server.

Is something like that what you are looking to do?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric.woerle:
You can add a second reporting server to the client and then change the properties on the fex to use the other reporting server.

Is something like that what you are looking to do?

Possibly. Would that mean the reports could use master files from both servers?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
copy the master back onto your original server, making sure your fex puts its app into its APP PATH.
then address the moved database within your USE statement
USE
\\newservername\whatever\myfile.foc AS MYFILE.FOC
END
that should work, as long as server A has rights to read server B

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
if you were to add a second reporting server to the client, I believe a report could only read from one server. If you were to do what Susannah is suggesting, I believe you would be able to use files from both servers in one report.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you set up a HUB/Sub relationship with the second server you can create a local master file that would have a SUFFIX=EDA. The report will run on the Sub Server with the answer set served back to the Hub.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
copy the master back onto your original server, making sure your fex puts its app into its APP PATH.
then address the moved database within your USE statement
USE
\\newservername\whatever\myfile.foc AS MYFILE.FOC
END
that should work, as long as server A has rights to read server B

Hi Susannah,
I copied the master back to the original server
The app path thing I'm not sure if I follow. Can you elaborate?

I put the USE statement on a report and get an error saying no data is found.

USE '\\Servername\Applications\folder\Master Files\originalfile.foc' AS newfile.foc  

(example)

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 1 IN PROCEDURE test
(FOC036) NO DATA FOUND FOR THE FOCUS FILE NAMED:

Does that mean anything?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
well, you have to use your servername, get someone in your IT group to help you figure out the syntax that works in your environment

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
well, you have to use your servername, get someone in your IT group to help you figure out the syntax that works in your environment

I was using my server name, I replaced it with "servername" as the example because I didn't figure it was necessary to share the actual name
Thanks

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, just APP MAP the folder and use it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post