Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Focus query
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I want to know how to use the MATCH condition effectively. Which is more effective - MATCH or JOIN?

Regards,
Vix

7.2.3IBM system Z9 Business class
Flat files, excel and CSV files.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It depends, Smiler. There are times when getting the information for your report is such that only match will solve the issue. I prefer joins, but then you contend with inner/outer, one to many, and so one. Sometimes though I have to use match as it is the only way to resolve my data selection issues.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Join is generally more efficient if you want data only if records exist on the host file. Use MATCH If you are wanting to merge 2 or more files even if records do not exist on the host (old-or-new), eliminate records that have a matching segment on the "new file" (old-not-new), eliminate records that have a matching segment on the "old file" (new-not-old), keep the records from either file that do not match (old-nor-new). I will use MATCH for the new, old and old-and-new conditions if I am having to manipulate data to get it into the same format, match on more than 2 fields or the merge files have no indexes.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post